Trying it Out / Getting Started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ermaclob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Lately Ive been very fascinated with the idea of side mounting and would like to try it out. i don't do tech diving at least not yet, but i would still like to see if i could utilize this type of configuration on my recreational level. My first, question would be how easy of a transition it would be, do i really need to take a course to do this? i would imagine its the same as slinging a bottle right. only difference is you need to rout the lp inflator hose. My bouyancy and trim are pretty good as far as i can tell (i practice alot).

Also, what would be my best option for adapting my rig to side mount, i use a 28 lb singles wing with a steal BP and tank adapter. can i use this wing, how would i make it not taco? i know oms sells an adapter but is there any other way?

from what ive read i would also have to play around with my weight to compensate for not having evenly distributed loads. i have the equipment to run 2 tanks but would like to try it with just one (al80).....

so.... advice please... :D

ermaclob:6288487:
Lately Ive been very fascinated with the idea of side mounting and would like to try it out. i don't do tech diving at least not yet, but i would still like to see if i could utilize this type of configuration on my recreational level. My first, question would be how easy of a transition it would be, do i really need to take a course to do this? i would imagine its the same as slinging a bottle right. only difference is you need to rout the lp inflator hose. My bouyancy and trim are pretty good as far as i can tell (i practice alot).

Also, what would be my best option for adapting my rig to side mount, i use a 28 lb singles wing with a steal BP and tank adapter. can i use this wing, how would i make it not taco? i know oms sells an adapter but is there any other way?

from what ive read i would also have to play around with my weight to compensate for not having evenly distributed loads. i have the equipment to run 2 tanks but would like to try it with just one (al80).....

so.... advice please... :D

There is a little more to it then just rerouting the inflator hose. Some more experienced sidemount divers than me can give you some pretty good sugestions but there is not an online sidemount class. You need to take a class. Find a instructor in your area or atleast a sidemount diver that can mentor you for a while. BTW sidemount isnt just slinging a couple cylinders. There is alot of details that have to be addressed to get it right. As far as gear I imagine youll have a pretty hard time trying to modify your current rig with no sidemount experience. I have only seen a few people be able to pull it off and end up with a quality product. Good luck.

well obviously its not literally as easy as slinging a bottle, other wise i wound even be asking, id be in the water :wink: i only specify the inflator hose because its one of the things i still haven clearly understood how to do.

these instructional videos is as far as i know in terms of setting it up, ive also referenced a few diagrams.

Bungee Set Up

Tank Set Up

from what i read some people my put weights on the al80 to get it weighted properly.

i could just keep watching random videos, but i much rather get advice from people here before doing that.

As far as gear I imagine youll have a pretty hard time trying to modify your current rig with no sidemount experience.

... referencing the first video as well as looking at the oms adapter, i think i can manage to get something going that will work... id just want some advice, im pretty sure others have walk this path before me and can lead me in the right direction.

The re's quite a bit to it. You can spend the next 50-60 dives trying to figure it out and still not get it, or you can find an instructor or mentor who has already gone through all of that and can help you understand the process. A good instructor will get you rigged properly and trimmed out, even in your own rig. Beware though because I've seen divers who have taken sidemount courses that still don't have the faintest clue about getting rigged and trimmed.

I was one of the guys who did it themselves. Not many, pronounced "ain't not one damn", sidemount instructors here. I also have the means to dive pretty much any time I want to. I have approx 60 dives in SM since January. It took a LOT of tweaking and playing around. Now I am trying a new bungee loop setup and that is even more tweaking. It is helpful to have a friend who can take pictures or video tape you. This helped me tremendously.

If you are just wanting to run one tank, "Monkey dive", and are not real worried about bottle trim and the such, I guess going it your own will not be as difficult. Modifying your gear could be an issue. I chose to buy a SM specific rig, and not try to make one. To me this is a much better way to go, if you don't have anyone to help.

After saying all this, you live in Florida. You have MANY quality SM instructors available to you. I would highly suggest a class. I actually plan on taking a class when I get home, even though I will already have over 100 dives in it. I am going to be switching over to steel from AL80's and I think it will be a good idea to get someone like Rob "dive-aholic" to instruct/mentor me in steels/drysuit.

im not one to take classes unless im 100% sure that i will i need them. doing OW dives or lake dive less then 60 feet... no need for classs. if i were planing on caving or doing wrecks or something id highly consider a class.

i riged up my tanks today and tryed it out in the pool while taking video. clearly need to make some adjustments but, its possible to do. the only real problem i incountered was that because i was using some nearly empty tanks (1000-700 psi). the tanks would float way to high on the back and not stay in the sidemount profile. i noticed this after reviewing the video, so i coudnt make any adjustments. how do you guys deal with this? i was going to set the D ring lower. but what will happen when the tank is full...... more tinkering needed. :headscratch:

when the tanks are floaty I clip them to the front d rings on my harness. when negative they go on the drings near the back of my harness. you have to move them during the dives.

im not one to take classes unless im 100% sure that i will i need them. doing OW dives or lake dive less then 60 feet... no need for classs. if i were planing on caving or doing wrecks or something id highly consider a class.

i riged up my tanks today and tryed it out in the pool while taking video. clearly need to make some adjustments but, its possible to do. the only real problem i incountered was that because i was using some nearly empty tanks (1000-700 psi). the tanks would float way to high on the back and not stay in the sidemount profile. i noticed this after reviewing the video, so i coudnt make any adjustments. how do you guys deal with this? i was going to set the D ring lower. but what will happen when the tank is full...... more tinkering needed. :headscratch:

What kind of tanks are they? Some are much more prone to that than others. I've had that problem with a couple different size fabers but it's never been an issue with my worthington or asahi tanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom