help on new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJStateRanger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi All,

I am starting to look into buying a new dive computer. I am now nitrox cert. also for FYI, although I have not used it yet.

My basics needs are to have a computer that is air/nitrox, easy to read,gives surface burn off. I still use a us divers matrix, yep that old but still works.

Not looking for anything fancy. Yes, I know there are tons of them there. Don't want or need to spend alot of money.

Please remember this is just a beginning search for me. All the help you want to throw out to me is good.

Thanks for the help.

Rich

I started with the Mares Puck. Good basic computer and will do NITROX. I recently upgraded to the Galileo Sol and the Puck is my back up n my BC pocket.

The Puck can be had on EBAY for $150ish and up...

Sarge

Sarge
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lots of choices out there for you. I have an Oceanic Geo that I'm happy with. Good luck in your shopping!

First question is do you want it on your wrist or in a console. For instance, if you want a console I think the Suunto Cobra is a nice option as it is air integrated and with quick disconnect it can be removed.

Perfer something in console, like having hands/wrists free from anything

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 AM ----------

sunnto gecko according to their site are no longer made

The Oceanic Veo line can be wrist mounted or go in a console, so you can change as your preferences do. Good prices. Most are nitrox.

Sure, but lots of them are available second hand. they are almost identical to the zoop, except for color and the ability to download data to a computer (though that can be fixed with a firmware change).

The Gecko is now the Zoop. Which is air/nitrox and down loadable. I like Suunto computers as they easy to use. Some people like to complain they are conservative. IMHO that is a red herring as I have used mine for up to 5 dives a day averaging 100ft dives and not run into limits that were not out of the ordinary.

Perfer something in console, like having hands/wrists free from anything

---------- Post added at 07:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 AM ----------

Your reasoning is odd. The console occupies your hand every time you want to view the thing. People choose the wrist mount to free their hands and always be able to view the display.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom