What's a guy gotta do to dive with sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quikcolin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone,

I'm an advanced/nitrox diver who desperately wants to go on a shark dive. More than anything do I want to dive with this misunderstood creatures.

I'm going to be on a Caribbean cruise next month (going to Nassau - Bahamas, Grand Turk - Turks and Caicos, San Juan - Puerto Rico, and St. Thomas).... is there ANYWHERE I can dive with sharks? I found an amazing spot in Turks and Caicos, but it's in the Providenciales Islands (have amazing shark dives)... and have no way to get from our cruise ship and back in time. Also, Stewarts Cove in Nassau (who does a shark feed) only do afternoon dives, and the timing doesn't work, and won't allow us to get back to the ship on time :(

There has to be somewhere? In Grand Turk (other than Providenciales islands - would have to be main land), or in Puerto Rico.... we plan to dive the Miss Opportunity and WITT Shoal II in St. Thomas, so that's out...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Colin

I think there are some other operators in Nassau who offer shark dives. Not to be THAT guy, but have you googled?

Reactions: Doc
Like dallaskincaid said I'm sure other operators offer shark dives. Also even if you don't book a shark dive there's a good chance you'll get to see some sharks on dives in Nassau.

If you want to guarantee shark dives, you might want to plan a diving vacation (versus diving as a side activity to a cruise), so that you're not in such a time crunch.

Just Googling gets me a few sites - Bahamas Scuba | Bahamas Scuba Diving | Nassau Scuba Dive | Freeport Scuba or Attractions on St. Thomas, Virgin Islands , but I don't really have personal experience. I recommend contacting dive shops there before you head out to ask questions and actually make reservations. I'm sure those types of dives are popular.

Plan a trip to North Carolina. We have plenty of sharks that you can dive with :)

Check out some of the dive blogs from Mike Gerkin and Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City from last year. It's not unusual to have more sharks on the wrecks than divers. And these are not the same "shark dive" that you see in the Caribbean where they feed the sharks to get them to come to the divers. You get to experience the sharks in their natural environment.

Here's the link to Mike's blog Blog - Evolution Underwater Imaging - Mike Gerken | SmugMug

He's got some great videos from last year and I'm sure we'll see more great things from him this year.

Oddly enough there doesn't seem to be much mention of shark sitings off Grand Turk - turtles and dolphins though. Which is weird because we saw a lot of sharks on the other side of the islands near West Caicos and especially French Cay.

As I mentioned in your other thread, your best bet is still Nassau with either Stuart Cove's or Bahama Divers. As I mentioned in your other thread, Bahama Divers dives the lost Blue Hole 3x week in the morning and sharks are often seen there.

Or some of the dive sites that Stuart Cove's regularly dives. You can request sites on the boat. Most divers would likely be interested also.

Go to their interactive map and hover over each site. Stuart Cove

A few in particular:

Shark Wall - site #33 - has to be just about a given...lol.
Edwin Williams Wreck - site #35 - the photo shows multiple reef sharks.
They're the two closest sites to the Shark Arena where the feed is held. So the sharks hang out nearby even when they're not being fed. We observed the same behavior near Cay Sal in the Bahamas.

Site 14 - Nari Nari mentions Hammerheads.
Site 19 - Shark Wall North - another obvious choice.
Site 22 - Treasure Wreck - shows at least 5 sharks in the photo. And it's where they filmed Into The Blue.

There's a 1/2 dozen other site descriptions that mention Reef sharks also.

That's where I'd go.

I just dove with Stuart Cove on Thursday last week and the divemasters and captains are usually pretty open to suggestions on where they are going to take you to dive. The only exception to this is if they have students on the boat or resort divers.

I think there are some other operators in Nassau who offer shark dives. Not to be THAT guy, but have you googled?

From what I understand, Stewarts Cove is the only "shark dive" operator in Nassau - they have a monopoly going on or something.

I've googled the HELL out of this topic, this was my last resort lol

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2012 at 12:15 PM ----------

Oddly enough there doesn't seem to be much mention of shark sitings off Grand Turk - turtles and dolphins though. Which is weird because we saw a lot of sharks on the other side of the islands near West Caicos and especially French Cay.

As I mentioned in your other thread, your best bet is still Nassau with either Stuart Cove's or Bahama Divers. As I mentioned in your other thread, Bahama Divers dives the lost Blue Hole 3x week in the morning and sharks are often seen there.

Or some of the dive sites that Stuart Cove's regularly dives. You can request sites on the boat. Most divers would likely be interested also.

Go to their interactive map and hover over each site. Stuart Cove

A few in particular:

Shark Wall - site #33 - has to be just about a given...lol.
Edwin Williams Wreck - site #35 - the photo shows multiple reef sharks.
They're the two closest sites to the Shark Arena where the feed is held. So the sharks hang out nearby even when they're not being fed. We observed the same behavior near Cay Sal in the Bahamas.

Site 14 - Nari Nari mentions Hammerheads.
Site 19 - Shark Wall North - another obvious choice.
Site 22 - Treasure Wreck - shows at least 5 sharks in the photo. And it's where they filmed Into The Blue.

There's a 1/2 dozen other site descriptions that mention Reef sharks also.

That's where I'd go.

LOL thanks again DiverSteve... I have spoken to Bahama Divers and they have the Lost Blue Hole on Monday (which is the day we'll be in Nassau)... sounds like that is the the best chance I'll have to see a shark (or a bunch of them - fingers crossed)

What about other (none shark dives) in Grand Turk? Any suggestions on operators, or dive sights?

Thanks again!

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2012 at 12:16 PM ----------

Plan a trip to North Carolina. We have plenty of sharks that you can dive with :)

Check out some of the dive blogs from Mike Gerkin and Olympus Dive Center in Morehead City from last year. It's not unusual to have more sharks on the wrecks than divers. And these are not the same "shark dive" that you see in the Caribbean where they feed the sharks to get them to come to the divers. You get to experience the sharks in their natural environment.

Here's the link to Mike's blog Blog - Evolution Underwater Imaging - Mike Gerken | SmugMug

He's got some great videos from last year and I'm sure we'll see more great things from him this year.

I had no idea there were sharks in North Carolina?!?! My uncle lives there - might be a good excuse to visit!

What is the water temp like??

Go to Tahiti "shark diving capital of the world" you will see more sharks than you can count.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom