Wetsuit Layering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubanoobi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for some advice on wetsuit layering. I have a 7mm full for my local diving (Canada) and 2mm shorty for warmer waters. I did some diving down south this winter in 76/77 degree water and got a little cold by end of the first dive (50 mins) and middle of the second dive (50 mins) with the 2mm shorty.

I know everybody is different, but if I were to layer the shorty with either a 1mm skin or 5mm vest/hood, which would keep me warmer and would it really make a difference?

I'm planning on doing more diving in 80 degree water later this year and want to be comfortable.

Looking for any advice - 1mm full skin or 5mm vest/hood to go with the shorty?

Definitely go with the hood... you lose most of your heat through your head so adding the hood really makes a difference. I dive with one every dive.

Like fjpatrum said, you lose most of your heat through your head. A hood makes a big difference.
A dive skin does not. In fact I get much colder with a dive skin, since it soaks more water and stays soaked. So during your surface interval you're freezing from evaporation.

Go with a Hood with a long bib or a hooded vest. In your situation I'd recommend a hooded vest for your 1 piece 7mm suit.
You can layer it under the 7mm or over the 7mm, which ever is more comfortable.

Here in Monterey (52F waters) I see more divers layering it over, since it doesn't add to the constriction of your velcro neck seal.
With a regular hood you'll want to tuck it under your neck seal.

Go with a hood. For 80 degree water my choice would be a full one-piece suit (2-3 mm) with back zipper. Sun, sting and thermal protection. .

I know many people wear shorty suits, but I learned a very hard lesson as a young solo diver.... when your legs get a little cool, the muscles .. especially the hamstrings have a tendancy to cramp up. I think it is actually safer to wear long pants and a vest and no wetsuit sleeves.

after getting a nasty coral scratch by being a bit careless I only wear a full body 3mm suit in tropical waters nowadays. Tat and if a tiny beit cool I waer a thermal vest under -Just going to a full body 3mm might be enough

As everyone else has recomended, the hood is the way to go. You're probably only a little bit of neoprene away from staying warm on your dive. You could probably add only a Hood, or a 2mm top and feel much warmer. You may not necessarily need a 5mm top with attached hood. But, adding a hood or a 2mm top with attached hood will probably do the trick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom