how to start a dive club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flynfish816

Registered
Reaction score
hi there i was just wondering what it takes to start a dive club as my lds does not have one. i am from central nebraska and there isnt any clubs for miles i know of six divers already that would want to join but dnt know where to start or what insurence is needed. thank any help would be great

Sounds like you have a club already- with 7 members. Have an organizational meeting, and put up notices at the local shop. You might even ask to have it there. Most shops like anything that brings people in the door. Creating a mailing and emailing and call list. Discuss activities members are interested in- a dive buddy phone list, planning local dive outings, planning dive destination trips to far away places, having speakers, etc. Many clubs stay active with non-dive related activities as part of their agenda- golf outings, bowling, happy hours, etc. Get a group together, get them taking, and I am confident your club will emerge. Keep us posted on progress. For more ideas, you can look at one local club's website. They are in Colorado, and call themselves "Sharkbait." Their website is sharkbaitdiveclub.com. They have been around a while, as you an tell from their website, but they started just like you are starting. I have enjoyed presenting at one of their meeting and expect to again later this year.
DivemasterDennis

we started one locally in Raleigh NC - using a facebook group. Cheap (Free) nothing fancy and we can schedule weekly meet up's and boat trips, etc.
for reference Raleigh area divers
we have 58 members from January (and the Normal dive seasion dosen't even start until may here)

Not that I have xp. running a club, but I have asked the dive club president at my school how he does stuff. I think that just having members makes u a club. Just set up an easy way for people to find your club. Aswell as a easy way to socialize like a facebook page for the club where u can post events and have disscusions with club members. It works well for my schools dive club. If you want more people to join try to "promot" your club at lds. With sufficent members you can call dive ops in your area if there are any and ask for club rates granted a minimum number of people go from you club.

I unfortunatly dont know about any paper work if there is any to start a club just out of the blue

It's easy to start one, as has been previously posted, seems that you already have!

Keep it going by pursuing new members, at first by recruiting already certified divers, then branch-out by seeking those who want to try. This is where associating yourself with an LDS can come in handy. It can be good for both to co-host a "try-scuba" event at he local Holiday Inn's pool.

By turning those events over to Instructors- their insurance would cover the event. I suppose in this day, since anyone can sue everyone, you're never really covered, but it's a ways down the road for the "club" to have enough assets for any insurance.

Focus on diving, pick a place for a meeting that's conducive to your goals- either a church basement or the back-room at the Pizza Palace. Find someone creative to arrange for some kind of entertainment, even if it's just watching an episode of Sea Hunt on DVD. Greet everyone that walks in the door, give everyone name tags so no-one feels left out or lost.

Arrange for local dive trips, shoot for the basics, like an u/w pumpkin carving contest. When it comes time, pick an easy to book warm-water-pretty-fish spot and get everybody fired-up. If you pick the right destination resort and advise them of what you are trying to do, you never know what will be delivered to your doorstep.

Give them diving!

Our local dive group utilizes meet-up, Bubbles Up Jacksonville. I included a link for you to check out the features. It does cost money (about $140/yr) you can divide it up between the members (with the initial 7 its $20 each for the year).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom