Head-Up Pitch - How to Balance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaverickNH

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in a 3mm wetsuit with a ScubaPro LiteHawk BC, with 2 x 4lb in the weight pockets on the BC belt, and another 4 x 2lb on a weight belt, which is just right on a buoyancy-check with a AL80 at 500psi in saltwater. The weight pockets and weight belt leave weights at pretty much the same level.

My pitch is somewhat head-up, as when I stop finning completely, my legs sink and my head rises up leaving me at about a 45-degree slant. Roll seems pretty stable.

My tank is pretty high - any higher and I'll whack my head if I extend my neck back far. I might be able to move the weight pockets from the BC belt to the tank strap.

What are my options to balance pitch?

Well, first make sure your posture is good. You need to be flat from your shoulders to your knees -- flexing at the hips and bicycle kicking will tend to bring you feet-down, as much as your weights do.

If your posture is good and you are STILL feet-down, you need to move some weight. Putting the weight pouches on the upper camband is an easy way to do this -- it will still leave you with ditchable weight, but will change your center of gravity. Right now, for example, I'm diving a 5 mil with a hood in Maui, and using 16 pounds, of which ten are on a belt, and 6 are on my cambands.

Last edited:
You're neutral body position in the water probably has a big effect on your static trim.

Bend your legs at the knee, keep the flats of your fins parallel with your intended horizon. Arch your back but don't overly slouch your lower back (ie. sticking your butt way out/ see articles on neutral spine position). Clench your butt and tilt your head back, rest it on the first stage if you want.
If you're still feet down extend your arms forward of you. Play around with how far your extend your arms and how much you bend at the knee to shift your center of gravity.

Have someone film you as well. Sometimes when we think we're in 0-degree trim we're actually still tilted, so the sea-saw effect takes hold when we stop finning.

That particular BC has small pockets just behind your shoulders near the tank. Move some weights there and it will even you out. It did wonders for me and got me perfectly horizontal.

Fix your posture and relax your body. Be patient, practice and don't buy any new gear to fix the problem!!!!

Get the lead off your hips. The belt is likely fine, but moving to trim weights on your tank straps might help get the lead out of the pockets. As has been mentioned above, the problem is likely partially the orientation of your lead as well as some skill development that you need to work on. I wouldn't buy anything new for now - just rearrange things and practice.

It's a simple as a see saw, move weight higher on your body or lighten you foot gear (fins).

If you have a set of ankle weights hand put them together and wear them like a dog collar to prove the point.

Getting the posture right is important. It's a fine line between keeping a just little arch in your back and keeping your head up, and overdoing it, causing discomfort and tiredness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom