Diving watch on the cheap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaerius

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking around for a relatively inexpensive diving watch(200m/20bar), which either shows seconds, or has a timer. I've looked at Casio AQW-101-1A as a possibility(one of the cheaper ones that I could find which meet my requirements, and looks like it could be read decently easily on a dive, additionally I liked that it had both analog and digital time displays).

Anyone tried it, or its siblings and care to give me an honest review? Or offer another good alternative?

My old wristwatch I used for diving was a cheap chinese made one, lasted a year of heavy diving despite being only rated to 50m, and when it broke it wasn't that it stoped working, the frame came unglued and fell off. It also had minor leak issues(the glass would fog up a bit when diving deeper than 27m). On the plus side it cost me 500 thai bath.

Main reason I'll need a wristwatch is simply so I can time seconds, for students(I'm an instructor, but I've been out of the industry for over a year, working a regular job and building up a buffer for my next go, and buying equipment). So the base requirements are basically: can it tell seconds, can it survive diving, and is it readable during dives.

I don't need one that can act as a backup dive computer. I've got two dive computers already.

I have the g-shock GA100-1A4 which is made by Casio wear to work and diving, this is my third one, lost one, one was to small to read when diving. never had a problem out of any of them. Looking at your choice and the price, I diffidently would have gotten it if I had saw it.

Looks a bit like the one I got (Casio 7900), but at half the price. I have been using it as a diving watch for nearly a year and it does what it needs to do: easy to read, has timers, predicts the tides,... Sturdy & inexpensive.

I still use a Casio G-Shock DW5600E that I picked up when I first started diving. It's a great watch and a good bottom timer that even has a backlight. However, the buttons can be a bit challenging to use with thicker gloves.

I use the timex triathalon watch. It's inexpensive and works! I have dived it in all sorts of depths and not had a problem. I did have one version of the watch that was a bit different looking than the standard tri watch and it would flood. I sent it back and they always replaced it, but I just went back to the regular tri watch and no problems!!!

I went to target and bought a $20 sport watch. Works fine. The cheap watch will last longer if you choose your screen before you start the dive and don't push buttons at depth.

Main reason I'll need a wristwatch is simply so I can time seconds, for students(I'm an instructor, but I've been out of the industry for over a year, working a regular job and building up a buffer for my next go, and buying equipment). So the base requirements are basically: can it tell seconds, can it survive diving, and is it readable during dives.

I don't need one that can act as a backup dive computer. I've got two dive computers already.

The only time you really need to time students using a second hand is in the pool, so you don't need much of a watch at all. During your dives, you can use your computers for everything you need.

I wear a watch while working with students in the pool, and it has a second hand. Sometimes I even look at it. Usually I focus on the student and count off in my head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom