Aqualung Conshelf XIV : A bargain for the price/quality maximizing person?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KD8NPB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking at buying an Older Conshelf XIV set with analog console...1st, 2nd, and octo together.

My research so far yields

Advantages:
Solid metal construction
Shares parts with the Aqualung Titan series
Still made by Aqualung for Government use
Still USN approved for diving, for down to 38F water use (I see many military pictures of them being used)
Cheaply found on the US market
Cold water rated (I live in Michigan, this is a requirement here)

Disadvantages:
Older design
Heavy
3/8 HP port (easily remedied)

For under $100, I can get the full setup. The regulator set has not been serviced in a few years, it has been sitting in the seller's closet.

Any thoughts? Is the Conshelf XIV a good entry level regulator?

I figure, if I upgrade, I can throw it on a pony bottle or stage bottle.

See how much it costs to get it serviced. You could be looking at $75-100 depending on the shop. Not sure how that would factor into your purchasing decision.

See how much it costs to get it serviced. You could be looking at $75-100 depending on the shop. Not sure how that would factor into your purchasing decision.

I called the local shop, they charge $30/hr + parts They're an Aqualung dealer too.

I'm not adverse to learning to do it myself either, I had ZERO problem finding the factory service manual on the internet. It's definitely something I would take a class in first though, since it is a piece of life support equipment. I am quite a handy person who has to justify new tool purchases somehow!

Vintage Doublehose's shop has EXCELLENT rebuild kits available for the Conshelf XIV for a wholesome $35/kit.

I'm looking at buying an Older Conshelf XIV set with analog console...1st, 2nd, and octo together. ... Any thoughts?

KD8NPB,

Are you thinking of using a high-pressure tank? If so, then is the yoke suitable (for cylinders having a 3,300 to 3,442 psig service pressure), or can the 1st stage be converted to 300 Br DIN (for cylinders having a 3,500 psig service pressure)? And is the SPG suitable?

Also, make sure you thoroughly check the (three!!) hoses. You might have to replace at least one. Figure this into your purchase price.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

P.S. Having a nearby Aqualung dealer is very convenient!

Last edited:
i replaced my octo with a Conshelf XIV and i also have the 1st stage for when i use 2 tanks. its a good reg. ive used it alot, just to breath out of it. the only thing i wish it had was an adjustment knob, but its generally no needed.

i say go for it buy the set, and service it. you'll be happy.

Oh, also... u forgot to add "looks cool" to the the advantages section.

look see...:)

Attachments

• 431169_3299642777648_1465277150_33055080_1058363344_n.jpg
    431169_3299642777648_1465277150_33055080_1058363344_n.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 2,486
KD8NPB,

Are you thinking of using a high-pressure tank? If so, then is the yoke suitable (for cylinders having a 3,300 to 3,442 psig service pressure), or can the 1st stage be converted to 300 Br DIN (for cylinders having a 3,500 psig service pressure)?

just to let you know the service pressure written on my 1st stage is 4000 Psi

just to let you know the service pressure written on my 1st stage is 4000 Psi

ermaclob,

We have to be a little careful here, as there are two different isues going on. The first is, whether or not the 1st stage is designed to work with high(er) pressure cylinders. The second is, what way the regulator will connect to the cylinder valve. (Some type of yoke fitting/"A" clamp? Some type of DIN fitting?)

I'm familiar with older Scubapro 1st stages, so I'll use these to illustrate. The Scubapro Mk 5 1st stage at one time was sold with a yoke fitting that was meant to be used with (at most) the low-pressure 2,250+10%=2,475 psig steel 72 cylinders. When 3,000 psig Al 80 cylinders started becoming popular, the Mk 5's yoke was beefed up substantially in order to handle this higher service pressure. (The older yoke looks positively anemic when placed next to the "newer", beefier yoke. Moreover, the newer yoke could even work with those particular Scubapro-branded Faber cylinders which had a service pressure of 3,000+10%=3,300 psig without a problem.

So, for this example, the Mk 5 itself can easily handle a 3,300 psig cylinder. But, if this Mk 5 wore one of the older anemic yoke assemblies, it wouldn't be a good idea to use this first stage on that 3,300 psig cylinder. If the Mk 5, instead, wore one of the newer beefier yoke assemblies, this 3,300 psig cylinder would represent no problem whatsoever for the Mk 5. And it's possible (though I have no direct knowledge), that if the Mk 5's yoke fitting was replaced with a 300 Br DIN fitting, the Mk 5 could be used on even higher service pressure 3,500 psig cylinders.

Now, I don't know for sure whether your (and KD8NPB's) old US Divers/Aqualung 1st stage was issued at various points in its long production cycle with different yokes. My caution to KD8NPB, though, is to check to make sure his 1st stage is wearing a yoke that's appropriate for the service pressure of the cylinder he will be using. And to see if a 300 Br DIN option is available for this first stage if he intends to use a 3,500 psig cylinder.

Does this make sense?

rx7diver

P.S. Nice photo, by the way!

Does this make sense?

rx7diver

P.S. Nice photo, by the way!

thats actually a great explanation. didnt know that.

its always important to follow the recommended use limit for a peace of hardware. but to be honest alot of equipment (not just scuba) are giving "low limits" they can be passed to some extent with no real consequence. one time the dive shop filled both my tanks AL 80s (Luxfer & Catalina) to almost 4000 Psi :sulkoff: and i used a 3300 1st stage on the tanks. Still worked. he should check before hand though.

I have a Conshelf 14 and I love it. I have some older Conshelfs, too. They are rugged regs and are easy to service. I've been doing the service on mine for years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom