Folding compact snorkles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k ellis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
When I assist with classes I am required to wear a snorkel and quiet honestly putting one on a mask again reminds me just why I got away from them to begin with. There usefulness is the topic of debates probably debated about as often as most of our eyes blink in a day.

The snorkel to me in my opinion has proven to entangle things more often then I use one on the surface. When diving it will even bounce around at times restricting my view somewhat as well.

I have debated for a while and finaly decided to put my theory to the test and attempt to see if the folding snorkles prove any better. I have found some older debates on these through the threads but technology always updates and often people who hate them turn to loving them while there are those who love them that turn to hating them. Interesting scenario none the less but hey.

My questions are these:

Do they prove reliable when needed?

Do they store easily?

Are they durable while being stored?

Would you recommend one?

And maybe even share why you would or would not use one.

I use a snorkel when teaching, and all the time I have a fold up snorkel in my pocket. It has proven reliable, and for me "when needed" is when we find dolphins on the surface interval and i want to snorkel with them, or on the odd occasion when I forget to bring my "regular" snorkel with me when I have students. Mine rolls up and goes in a pocket in my BCD for easy storage. It seems durable - I'm on my second one in nine years.

I'm a fan.

kari

I use a fold up snorkel while teaching. It works fine and rolls up nicely and goes in my gearbag when I am not teaching.

I've switched from standard snorkel to compact role up snorkel. I was little hesitant at first but now will never go back. I only use the conventional snorkel now for snorkeling, and have two fold ups one for me and one for my daughter.

I currently use an XS scuba roll up snorkel. It has two holes at the top that fit end of the snorkel keeper. Simply roll the snorkel starting at the mouthpiece and if the snorkel keeper positioned properly then the end should hook up on the snorkel keeper. Then simply put in your BC pocket where it would be easily accessable.

It doesnt actually breath as well as a conventional snorkel but breathes well enough. The biggest trick is putting it on the mask after a dive. Sometime I slide it up under the strap of my mask. It can be a little awkward positioning. I find it easier to swim on my back or swim face up doing kelp crawl than snorkel through the kelp. The standard snorkel is just one more thing to catch the kelp which is why I like to put it in my pocket. And to be honest, the only reason I do that is because local ordinance requires one to be on you while diving. Doesn't require me to have it on my mask.:wink:

k ellis, I am totally with you on the down side of snorkels, and when not teaching or assisting, I too like to remove the extra stuff from my face. I will also confess that when working with continuig ed students I have been know to not wear a snorkel on occasion. I have a snorkel that fits in a bc pocket that I carry when diving recreationally. However, on shore dives I sometimes will wear a standard model if we have much of a surface swim to the site, and in case of a long surface swim thereafter. I also use a standard (and not very fancy) model when we are just snorkeling.
DivemasterDennis

I currently use an XS scuba roll up snorkel. It has two holes at the top that fit end of the snorkel keeper. Simply roll the snorkel starting at the mouthpiece and if the snorkel keeper positioned properly then the end should hook up on the snorkel keeper. Then simply put in your BC pocket where it would be easily accessable.

I use the same one. I only even own it because the base here requires you have one and I did not own one. I got the LDS to carry them because I refused to put one on my mask. I have never used it, but it does stay nicely in my thigh pocket. :)

Move the snorkel back along your mask strap; attach with a snorkel keeper!
I still find it mind boggling why people insist on attaching their snorkel butt up to the the mask frame and then work around twisting the snorkel so it fits into their mouth. And then there's the issue with plastic snorkel clips. It's a clip, of course it's going to clip onto your hair!
But enough of that rant.

Try putting the snorkel back along your mask strap so it comes straight and clean into your mouth. If you're neoprene mask strap prevents this then I suggest giving it a trim. You don't need that much neoprene; it' causes your mask to be floaty and more prone to slipping on entry.

The best part about sliding your snorkel back is you'll no longer require floppy corrugated hoses on your snorkels. The snorkel's majority will be tucked on the side of your head, so less catching. And now you can get a cheap, clean, and simple J-snorkel.
It'll make the snorkel less of a hassle when you're teaching classes.

If you want a foldable snorkel go with the Cressi Corsica. No purges, no gimmicks. Just a straight foldable J-snorkel for $20; soft enough to slip under the mask so no need for plastic clips or snorkel keepers.
cressi_05628_4.jpg
Apnea_Tubos_Cressi_Corsica.jpg

I have used the Sherwood Scuba Avid model for years.
Picture1-9.png

Well, I've just carried it, actually. Folds up real nice~ takes up zero space. You can find them if you scratch around a bit, eBay and such.

When the SHTF, it works dandy. I used it more like a Rescue Swimmer would use one, not for a leisurely splash for an hour to look at pretty fish. It worked as intended.

Folding and Pocket Snorkels [Archive] - ScubaBoard

It will get you past the PADI requirement :shakehead: for owning one, as well.

Back
Top Bottom