sidemount tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seedy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am just starting into the sidemount world, just adapting a transpac which I already have.
My plan is to use two 7l steel faber stage bottles, for rec dives. I am thinking nice and light
more air than I normally have (10.5) any thoughts on this. I am trying to reduce the stress on my back,
and i think this may be really good. I am using an OMS 32lb wing . Probably need very little lead as well...... any thought or advice much appreciated

7/232 steel cylinders are being used in British cave diving, and yes, they are good to dive with... I have dived them several times. At home I dive with 12/232 steel Eurocylinders, and they are lovely in water (and not so on ground).

---------- Post added April 9th, 2012 at 08:56 AM ----------

One 7l 232bar steel weighs about 8.8kg in air and 1.2kg empty in cold sweet water. So, if you want to be able to do a safety stop with near empty cylinders, you need to count these cylinders to weigh at 1.2kg each. The rest goes to a weight belt - or better yet - a weight harness.

It's probably bets to say what water temps, and entries you are shooting at. For the tropics, anything but standard 80s is probably not a good idea. FOr surf entries this is also true

I like steels just fine in BM, but simply find them unusable in SM for beach entries in surf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom