What to pack??.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yodelhawk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As I posted on another thread, my wife surprised me with my very first dive trip! Thanks again,babe! I will be going to Bonaire in the beginning of June.I would love to hawl all my gear with me but that is not posible. So my question is, what gear do you take on a trip?I mean besides the Reg, BCD, fins, mask/snorkle? If this sounds like a dumb question,please keep in mind that I'm still a newbie and this is my first dive trip . Thanks for all your help

yodelhawk,

In your case it may depend on what route you're taking to Bonaire. If you're flying through Curacao you'll be put on a small plane that is more restrictive when it comes to luggage. If you fly direct on a larger plane and are allowed a checked bag, carry-on, and a back pack, you should have enough room to take anything you want. Except tanks and weights of course. Remember you don't need much in the way of clothes on Bonaire. Especially since you're doing a guys' trip.

boat

Edit: Maybe more in line with your question, besides the gear you mentioned, you'll want a couple of small flashlights for night dives and an smb in case you do a boat dive. If you have a point and shoot digital camera it's probably worth investing in an inexpensive housing for it if one's available. We also took along 1 backup reg, small dive saver kit, should have taken a tire inflater, and spare masks.

First thing first....pack the girlfriend. She deserves it. She will provide you with warmth and company when you are not diving.

In addition to what you and Boat sju mentioned, thermal protection. While some folks may be diving shorts and rash guard, doing consecutive dives will take its toll on your body just like some marine life and aquatic plants should you come in contact with them. I was there mid until end of February...water temp oscillated between 79 - 81F. I did 40 dives in my two weeks, averaging 3 dives a day. I was comfy in a 3mm and my GF...in a 5 mm and at times 5mm plus Bare Chicken vest.

Other accessory...Not sure if you do own one but a compass will be worth its weight in gold especially when attempting to return to your entry point if shore diving.

Thanks for the input guys... I was wondering about the wetsuit. I only have a 2mm shorty but I think that should be enough. Good call on the compass as well. We are flying in out of Newark so I guess I will have a little more room. The smb is a good idea as well, but I can see my list snowballing already. I just don't want to pack so much stuff that I look like I'm going into combat. Having never done this before I don't know how much or little people carry.

You might still get cold after successive dives with a 2mm shortie. You might want to invest in a full 3mm.

Thanks for the input guys... I was wondering about the wetsuit. I only have a 2mm shorty but I think that should be enough. Good call on the compass as well. We are flying in out of Newark so I guess I will have a little more room. The smb is a good idea as well, but I can see my list snowballing already. I just don't want to pack so much stuff that I look like I'm going into combat. Having never done this before I don't know how much or little people carry.

For my trip to Bonaire, my scuba diving equipment less regs, DC, main diving mask was in my scuba suitcase (checked bagage...around 40 lbs), my clothes were in my carry on bag and my regs, DC, main mask, logbook and C cards were in my personal item bag. Most of the people in my group travelled in a similar fashion and we had plenty of clothes for two weeks (some I did not even touch as we lived in a villa).

+1 on something thicker than a 2mm shortie.

+1 on the dive caddy.

We also got the cheap ($40) roller bags at Costco. I think TSandM suggested those.

yodel,

I actually dive a full 4/3 in Bonaire and it's not excessive - at least not for me - and it's easy to bang your knees/elbows up. I'm glad the other guys are mentioning some of the basics I forgot about like a compass and computer. Can you get Nitrox certified before you go? Bonaire is the perfect place for nitrox.

If you want to night dive, a small red strobe is nice to mark your return point.

Back
Top Bottom