Practicing Basic Skills while Diving with an Advanced Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverpk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am curious to see if what the general feeling would be if a nube diver is diving with an advanced diver and the nube wanted to take some time while at depth to practice some of the basic skills. Would it be rude to take air time away for such remedial tasks or would the practice be looked upon as something worthwhile?

:confused:

I think that is an excellent idea. I still practice skills underwater. Just let your buddy know before the dive what skills you would like to do and signal when you will do them. Maybe at the start of the dive while others are getting in the water or at the end before your safety stop. You can also do mask clearing and regulator retrieval while you are doing you safety stop.

I'm all for it, and would happily assist in any way needed with a buddy who wanted to practice some skills. Communication with your buddy is key - if they say no, get a different buddy. :) Good luck!

I have noticed that will a dive buddy get upset if someone wanted to practice a skill. My local dive club just had a dive were the focus was just on skills. If you came to me and told me this, I'd be all 'hell yes' and do the skills with you.

I am a firm believer if you don't practice your skills, you lose that skill. When things don't go perfect you panic.

Yeah, great idea. Especially for a new diver to even be diving with someone more advanced. Besides, there are only one or two of the skills that absolutely need two people to do, so doing these "2 person participant" skills would take what-- 5 minutes? The others can be practised alone (in the shallow end of a pool for safety if you wish). Or two people can spend some time doing all the skills and observing each other.

So long as you told the buddy before the dive, I think it's a great idea!

I am curious to see if what the general feeling would be if a nube diver is diving with an advanced diver and the nube wanted to take some time while at depth to practice some of the basic skills. Would it be rude to take air time away for such remedial tasks or would the practice be looked upon as something worthwhile?

:confused:
You can dive with me any time! In fact we can practice our skills together.
Unless you have a very specific goal on your dive I'd rethink the buddy who didn't want to spend a few minutes (or a few hundred lbs of gas) on skills practice.
You will find most divers will be happy to practice skills with you.

Back
Top Bottom