Bp/w. deluxe vs hog harness??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gravybird

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just wanting to know what you guys think between the two harnesses. I currently have the hog harness setup on my single tank bpw, but I'm slowly putting together a set of doubles, and the deluxe harness with padded shoulders sure looks nice:) I have kind heard that they are not all they're cracked up to be. I'm a bigger guy, and find getting out of my hog is a pain in the arse most of the time:) thanks for the input.

the deluxe harness with padded shoulders sure looks nice:)

Do you want it for looks or functionality?

If you already have a hog harness just go with that on your doubles and see how it goes. Should be fine. I dive double steel 119's with no padding, no problem.

PS - relative to ease of getting out of the harness, how tight are you wearing yours? Many people I see complaining about this are actually wearing their's too tight?

I second RJP's comments (gasp!)

While it is not impossible to imagine that it might be tough for your to get into your HOG setup, I doubt that the deluxe padded straps would be any easier and it is possible that your shoulder straps are too tight. My shoulder straps feel a bit loose until I tighten my waist belt (which pulls the rig down onto my shoulders because of the crotch strap). The rig is further tightened when I extend my arms forward in the "Superman" diving pose.

Do you want it for looks or functionality?

If you already have a hog harness just go with that on your doubles and see how it goes. Should be fine. I dive double steel 119's with no padding, no problem.

PS - relative to ease of getting out of the harness, how tight are you wearing yours? Many people I see complaining about this are actually wearing their's too tight?

I'm pretty sure I want it for functionality. Although I think they do look swell:) it is possible that it is too tight, but it feels pretty good while on, and diving.

I second RJP's comments (gasp!)

While it is not impossible to imagine that it might be tough for your to get into your HOG setup, I doubt that the deluxe padded straps would be any easier and it is possible that your shoulder straps are too tight. My shoulder straps feel a bit loose until I tighten my waist belt (which pulls the rig down onto my shoulders because of the crotch strap). The rig is further tightened when I extend my arms forward in the "Superman" diving pose.

Ok thanks for the input:)

Try loosening the shoulder straps, and using the crotch strap to pull the harness tighter once on. Everything can be adjusted around so the valves are easily reachable.

Say no to scuba fluff...aka padding.

Hahhhh. Ok. Even my brother tells me I will be profusely laughed at if I show up with padded straps:) I will try some more adjustments on my single rig before my decision on my doubles setup. Thanks guys

Padded straps are for sissies :)

Not always. If I remember right a diver on the board has had a broken clavicle or something and the normal webbing digs in to his shoulder to much, but the padded allows him to dive. They DO have their uses, I got screwed up shoulders but going to go with the normal webbing at first, and if need be, just add a bit of padding afterwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom