Should i head straight to Komodo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big fish63

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be in Indonesia from 20th of June until 10th of July. I'm trying to decide where i should dive between the 26th-10th.

I have been to Komodo before in May and it was awesome diving, i couldn't ask for more... Mantas, dolphins,sharks, macro, huge schools of fish and pristine reefs..

Is it worth diving around Bali if the world class diving of Komodo is so close?

I am looking to film Mantas on this trip.

Where would be best to try our luck, manta point Bali or Komodo?

Komodo, without a doubt.

Last year I had the best time just snorkeling with the mantas. The dinghy would drop us in at one end of the reef and we would drift down on the current to the other end with the mantas cruising by below us and just at the surface, feeding with those huge mouths open. Then we'd climb back in the dinghy and ride back to the beginning so that we could drop in again. I did this for about two hours, and only got out of the water when I was forced to! In addition to this manta-snorkel experience, we had mantas at site where we hooked in with reef hooks. What a show!

It seems we both had the same experience... On one site i was just drifting with the mantas as they fed at the surface. At the other site i sat behind a rock for a hour sheltered from the current..

I was just checking they were still around in June/July as its apparently the dry season..??

Well the experience with mantas at Komodo beats that of Manta Point..on the other hand you'll use almost all your vacation on a Komodo trip, getting in only part of a day at Manta Alley on most liveaboards, while a day trip to Manta Point from Bali will still give you near guaranteed sightings with only a day out of your trip. You'd also be in Bali at the beginning of mola mola season so you'd likely get those too on a three tank trip that includes Manta Point. Why not check out other incredible places in Indo..Raja Ampat (mantas there too), Lembeh/Bunaken in Sulawesi, Alor...and others. Don't get me wrong, Komodo is spectacular, but you could try some new places and still get in mantas in Bali.

... a day trip to Manta Point from Bali will still give you near guaranteed sightings with only a day out of your trip.

I'm glad you said "near" ... we were totally skunked at Manta Point, as in nothing, nada, zip, the week after we had good sightings in Komodo.

I'm going to be in Indonesia from 20th of June until 10th of July. I'm trying to decide where i should dive between the 26th-10th.

I have been to Komodo before in May and it was awesome diving, i couldn't ask for more... Mantas, dolphins,sharks, macro, huge schools of fish and pristine reefs..

Is it worth diving around Bali if the world class diving of Komodo is so close?

I am looking to film Mantas on this trip.

Where would be best to try our luck, manta point Bali or Komodo?

I'm checking with the cruise director so can't confirm until I hear back from him. There is a Bima- Bali liveaboard trip that may dive mantas in Komodo and Manta Point in Bali. 1800 euros with a 300 euro discount, free Nitrox. (roughly US$2025 with the discount) June 30 - July 9.

Either one would be good. Although, Bali is crowded in July / August.

PM if interested. Or use my email address below.

If you are going to put yourself through the 24 hours of travel to get to Bali why not try some of the island diving before heading off to Komodo? Bali diving doesn't compare to Komodo but it compares favorably to a lot of other locations. Menjangan Island has some incredible critters and very healthy coral. Tulamben and the Liberty wreck are good for another couple of days. I too was skunked at Manta Rock for mantas but came across hundreds of stingrays in the sand. We also lucked out with the mola molas. Many divers I have met in Bali just come back year after year to dive their favorite spot on the island and don't venture farther afield to Komodo or Raja Ampat. Bali also is a good place to recover from the flight and get into the vibe of Indonesian culture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom