Advice regarding repairing old dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n3rdftw

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey,

I hate to ask these silly questions, but I wanted some opinions on what to do.

I've been diving with all 2nd hand gear, ie. old scubapro mk2 regulators/used BCs/used dive computer etc.

The buttons have failed on my UWATEC Air Z O2. It works perfectly fine underwater, however, the contacts on the buttons to turn it on manually on the surface seem to have broken.

I took it into the dive shop for an estimate regarding the repair price, and they quoted me about 150 for the contact repair + S&H back to Scubapro. However, they looked at the transmitter, and determined it was an old model transmitter, and said I was required to replace the transmitter as well..... which would cost another 140 dollars.... bringing the overall cost to 290 + shipping for the repair.

What I was thinking is, should I just buy a new regulator with 2 HP ports, so that I could just put on my old set of regular gauges for surface readings of pressure, and have the transmitter for my dive computer for easy air/depth/time tracking? I believe buying a decent new regulator would cost around 300~400 with 2 HP ports, so it may work out to be nearly the same cost as repairing the dive computer, but just working around the limitations of the broken buttons and also getting a backup method of measuring tank pressure.

Any other ideas for the best use of 300 dollars to maintain a safe diving experience? Just go back to a simple SPG? Repair old dive computer? Buy a new reg with 2 HP ports for use of limping dive computer and a SPG?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
What are your 2nds.. The mk2 has limited ports but still a fine reg. an mk5 can be found on the cheap to give you more ports. Seeing you can get a oceanic veo for a buck 50 new you could just put an old school brass and glass SPg on your rig and you'd be set. Just sayin.

What are your 2nds.. The mk2 has limited ports but still a fine reg. an mk5 can be found on the cheap to give you more ports. Seeing you can get a oceanic veo for a buck 50 new you could just put an old school brass and glass SPg on your rig and you'd be set. Just sayin.

R190 2nd Stage, and R190 Octo. I think they're about 10 years old.

From what I am reading, the MK5 is just as outdated as the MK2, just with an extra HP port, would it be more worthwhile to get an MK5 versus a 300 dollar new regulator with 2 HP ports? Is there probably going to be little to no difference in performance?

I'm guessing the R190's can basically be put into any low pressure port on any modern reg, so it would save me the trouble of getting a new octo.

So you recommend replacing the UWATEC with just a cheap nonintegrated computer like the VEO instead of repairing it? I guess the air z is getting outdated as well, and it looks like the veo can nearly match its features with the exception of the air integration. Are there any decent dive computers that can be worn as a watch ala a normal sport watch?

Thanks!

Oceanic Geo or Aeris Manta. Same thing actually. Both can be worn as a watch. And are relatively cheap. Never had an air integrated computer with transmitter just because of what has happened to you. My veo 200 is over 7 years old and though the backlight no longer works the computer does. I just got a new computer (Shearwater Predator) and again did not even consider air integration. I look at that as an additional failure point. But it does do trimix. And actually less cost than some AI computers that do far less as far as planning, gas, dive logging, etc. and are much harder to use.

Oceanic Geo or Aeris Manta. Same thing actually. Both can be worn as a watch. And are relatively cheap. Never had an air integrated computer with transmitter just because of what has happened to you. My veo 200 is over 7 years old and though the backlight no longer works the computer does. I just got a new computer (Shearwater Predator) and again did not even consider air integration. I look at that as an additional failure point. But it does do trimix. And actually less cost than some AI computers that do far less as far as planning, gas, dive logging, etc. and are much harder to use.

I don't want to take this to an AI thread, but my Galileo Sol does one better than your Predator as far as gas planning goes. It does gas planning on the fly. It tells me at any time during the dive how much time I have before I need to make a safe ascent with good accuracy, which for recreational diving is nicer than the rigidity of having to preplan your dive.

You can always service the mk2/ r190s and not have any problems with them. Air integration is a really nice feature that people like to have. The dealer should have offered a trade in option. Scubapro will offer a discount off of the new computers instead of repairing them. They would probably do this with the air Z anyways instead of fixing it because cost is going to be similar.
I would recommend going to the new AI computers the luna or sol and get the extra features and still be diving much safer with the algorithums they offer over the other computers.

Those contacts on the Uwatec some times just get corroded you may try using a pencil eraser and cleaning them.

I don't want to take this to an AI thread, but my Galileo Sol does one better than your Predator as far as gas planning goes. It does gas planning on the fly. It tells me at any time during the dive how much time I have before I need to make a safe ascent with good accuracy, which for recreational diving is nicer than the rigidity of having to preplan your dive.

That is not dive planning. That is flying the computer instead of using it as a backup for an actual dive plan. In my classes that would be a fail. Dive planning means knowing how much time, air, and what your contingency plans are before you hit the water. And what is the computer using to tell you this? What algorithm is it using and is it the right one for you? Can you set the conservatism on your computer? Do you know why you would want to? How is not preplanning your dive and not following that plan safe? To me it is not.

Even with this new computer I will still preplan every dive. Tec or rec. I will have back up tables in my wet notes and a bottom timer to back up the computer and use with the tables.

One thing I really like about Shearwater is their honesty. It states plainly in the manual that at some point the computer will fail. That may be years from now. Or if I mess up changing the battery. Or the battery may go bad in the middle of a long dive. Does not mean the dive is over if I have planned it properly. Just means I need to go to the fall back. I may not be able to end the dive immediately if I'm inside a wreck of still have an hour of deco. Or I may not want to end the dive. Preplanning means I don't have to. Not preplanning a dive means I would not dive with that person anywhere or anytime. It is foolish and sets a very poor example for other divers.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2012 at 04:44 PM ----------

You can always service the mk2/ r190s and not have any problems with them. Air integration is a really nice feature that people like to have. The dealer should have offered a trade in option. Scubapro will offer a discount off of the new computers instead of repairing them. They would probably do this with the air Z anyways instead of fixing it because cost is going to be similar.
I would recommend going to the new AI computers the luna or sol and get the extra features and still be diving much safer with the algorithums they offer over the other computers.

The OP is new and needs to understand that the best computer is the one between his ears. Anything else is a tool and a back up one at that. If he were my student he would be steered away from a computer and pointed to tables and analog guages until he has his planning skills down pat.

Then I would recommend a simple nitrox computer based on his budget, wants, and needs. What I see is the need for a basic computer that does nitrox that he wants to wear as a watch. He does not want to spend a lot of money and perhaps cannot afford one. Recommending an AI computer that is near a thousand dollars is what is wrong with this industry!

None of his requirements have been taken into consideration in suggesting this.

And which algorithms are those, that make him safer over others? Would not planning his dive using tables and using the cushion they offer be safer still? And as he gains experience he can use the computers tracking ability to gradually extend his times over the tables he has used to plan the dive.

The Oceanic Geo or Aeris Manta can be had for under $300.00 at LP Oceanic GEO Wrist Computer "Old Style"

It will do all the things he needs, fit his budget, and can be worn as a watch they way he wants. What is so hard about listening to divers and trying to fill their requirements. Add an SPG which he likely already has and he can do any recreational dive he chooses. And more important the money he saves by going this route can be used to dive more. And that is where the real benefit to him is.

Hey,

I hate to ask these silly questions, but I wanted some opinions on what to do.

I've been diving with all 2nd hand gear, ie. old scubapro mk2 regulators/used BCs/used dive computer etc.

The buttons have failed on my UWATEC Air Z O2. It works perfectly fine underwater, however, the contacts on the buttons to turn it on manually on the surface seem to have broken.

I took it into the dive shop for an estimate regarding the repair price, and they quoted me about 150 for the contact repair + S&H back to Scubapro. However, they looked at the transmitter, and determined it was an old model transmitter, and said I was required to replace the transmitter as well..... which would cost another 140 dollars.... bringing the overall cost to 290 + shipping for the repair.

What I was thinking is, should I just buy a new regulator with 2 HP ports, so that I could just put on my old set of regular gauges for surface readings of pressure, and have the transmitter for my dive computer for easy air/depth/time tracking? I believe buying a decent new regulator would cost around 300~400 with 2 HP ports, so it may work out to be nearly the same cost as repairing the dive computer, but just working around the limitations of the broken buttons and also getting a backup method of measuring tank pressure.

Any other ideas for the best use of 300 dollars to maintain a safe diving experience? Just go back to a simple SPG? Repair old dive computer? Buy a new reg with 2 HP ports for use of limping dive computer and a SPG?

Thanks!

Oliver Zhou

From the safety and budget point of view, I'd keep the reg if it's working fine and replace the old computer with a non air integrated one (which are now very inexpensive) and hook up your old SPG to the one HP port.

As your budget improves you can buy a new reg, and later an air-integrated computer. Then your new non AI computer can become your backup.

dang, lots of discussion

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I think i'm sufficiently experienced enough to understand the importance of preplanning a dive before just leaping in.
i am finishing my divemaster right now, mostly for confidence when diving recreationally. i did complete my naui masters/advanced/nitrox/openwater with just the standard SPG

I've been using my old 2nd hand poor person gear for the past year, but i did want the convenience of the AI computer, but the costs of a new one just seemed scary.

the trade in option suggested by scubasam seemed interesting... started my first real job after college recently, so i will eventually have enough reserves, and maybe in a few months down the road, trade in for a nice computer if that was available. would i be working through my local dealer? when i brought it into my local dive shops (austin, tx) no one mentioned that option.

i guess for now, i'll go ahead and spring for a cheapo dive computer as a backup, and if i can trade in my old uwatec air z, give the cheapo dive computer to my girlfriend who just completed her open water or something along those lines.

along those lines... would the oceanic geo / manta be the best "bang for the buck"? would going up or down in price bring significant savings/many extra features(ie temp gauge or digital compass)?

edit -> i did take an oceanic regulator course, so the dive shop would offer me "key man" pricing when i complete my divemasters since i would become a qualified "professional"... but it looks like online retail pricing is just as good, if not better anyways for most products, where would you guys recommend reliable retailers online for price comparisons? i would love to support the local stuff, but i've already burned plenty of money there, and if the price differential is over say, 5% + another 8.25% in savings from lack of sales tax, it makes a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom