ScubaPro Galileo Sol -- Hard to read?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stlblufan

New
Reaction score
I've just acquired a Galileo Sol and yesterday did a test dive in a pool. Unfortunately, I had great difficulty reading anything on the display, which came as a big surprise to me because I've got good vision and never have had any problem reading a dive computer before. I tried all three of the display settings, changed the contrast -- all to no avail. I have trouble reading it above surface too, but figured it would be fine underwater. I even tried taking off the clip-on protective cover. No dice.

So my question -- has anyone else had this problem? All the reviews I've found say how easy it is to read. Could my display be defective? I'm afraid it's me that is defective...sigh. Maybe I'll have to wait for something OLED.

Thanks all!

I just went over 100 dives on my Galileo Luna. Last month I was in Bonne Terre Mine and couldn't understand why I couldn't see my display. I was able to complete my dives using a light to illuminate the display. The issue with my computer is the backlight- it has burned out- I suspect the same thing has occurred woth your computer.
On the surface- to see if the back light is working you must be in the "time of day" mode- its easy to know your in this mode- this is the mode where the word "light" appears below the 3rd button (counting left to right).
Everything else on the computer continues to work fine with no issues. I contacted ScubaPro- as I purchased the computer less than 2 years ago- they told me to download my dives and take it back to my LDS where I purchased the unit and they would make it right.

Ive thought about starting a thread to see if it is a common problem- and it sounds like it may be more common than I thought.

Hope this helps.

I doubt the Op's backlight function is malfunctioning with the computer being new. The computer's display is simply not that great, especially compared to OLED selections like Liquidvision and Shearwater...

Last edited:
Get a computer with an OLED screen and you won't have this problem, you can get an OSTC 2n has the OLED screen and is a full nirtox trimix computer, and around 30% cheaper than the Galileo's

I've got hundreds of dives on my Sol - no issues with reading the display (even easier once I put in some corrective lenses ;-) ) in many different types of water conditions. If you take a picture of the display and post it, we can see what the issue is (or just take it back to the LDS and have them check it out)

Get a computer with an OLED screen and you won't have this problem, you can get an OSTC 2n has the OLED screen and is a full nirtox trimix computer, and around 30% cheaper than the Galileo's

Do they have a US distributor in place?

I have a few hundred dives with the LUNA with no issues. I personally find it a great computer.

I have both the Predator and the SOL. When i first got the SOL I thought it might be difficult to read UW but was pleasantly surprised that it was just fine. Granted it's not as "pleasant" a display as the OLED on the Shearwater it was not difficult to read at all. I also wear a +1.75 corrective lens in my mask.

I've just acquired a Galileo Sol and yesterday did a test dive in a pool. Unfortunately, I had great difficulty reading anything on the display, which came as a big surprise to me because I've got good vision and never have had any problem reading a dive computer before. I tried all three of the display settings, changed the contrast -- all to no avail. I have trouble reading it above surface too, but figured it would be fine underwater. I even tried taking off the clip-on protective cover. No dice.

So my question -- has anyone else had this problem? All the reviews I've found say how easy it is to read. Could my display be defective? I'm afraid it's me that is defective...sigh. Maybe I'll have to wait for something OLED.

Thanks all!

Have you checked the display contrast? It might be too light or too dark. I keep mine about 1/4 of the way from the far left, just to the right of the t under Light. Do you know how to check the display contrast?

It was my thought as well that the contrast is not set right, but you say you've adjusted it. It is adjustable on the Sol.

I'd suggest you compare your display with another Sol, either in a shop or if someone else has one, as it could be a defective display. Also I suggest not going to the Full display, but stick with either Classic or Light.

Another problem could be with the protective plastic shield, perhaps it's cloudy. On my computer I removed this and replaced with a Zagg screen protector.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom