suggestions for a new watch dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanski

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey All,

I have been checking out board topics and different manufacturer websites and am still looking for advice on a new computer. I had a Mares Nemo Excel which I lost about 2 years ago and am more than ready for a new one. I'm looking for a good recommendation on a nitrox watch style computer, preferably with a free dive mode. I don't need air integration or any other air mixes than nitrox.

I was looking at the Mares matrix but am a little disappointed that it doesn't have the free dive mode. Does any one have any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Unfortunately, not many computers have the nice free dive mode that some of the Mares models have. Fortunately, most do have a bottom timer mode that works almost as well.

the new Scuba pro meridian is AWESOME. easy to use, easy to see, gauge, free dive, nitrox (up to 2 different mixes), and it's really slick looking. my girlfriend just got hers, mine is on its way :)

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?u2xqqb

the new Scuba pro meridian is AWESOME. easy to use, easy to see, gauge, free dive, nitrox (up to 2 different mixes), and it's really slick looking. my girlfriend just got hers, mine is on its way :)

---
I just checked out the Meridian. Looks really sweet and I think it has everything that I want? Otherwise I was thinking of getting another Mares Excel or the Matrix and eventually a separate free dive watch at some point.

So the main differences between the Meridian and Matrix is that the Matrix has a compass and the Meridian has a free dive mode and that's about all?

Thanks for the help on this. Trying to get this together for a trip next week and am tired of asking to borrow other peoples computers.

---
I just checked out the Meridian. Looks really sweet and I think it has everything that I want? Otherwise I was thinking of getting another Mares Excel or the Matrix and eventually a separate free dive watch at some point.

So the main differences between the Meridian and Matrix is that the Matrix has a compass and the Meridian has a free dive mode and that's about all?

Thanks for the help on this. Trying to get this together for a trip next week and am tired of asking to borrow other peoples computers.

The Mares Matrix runs on RGBM (conservative) algorithm, while the Scubapro Meridian runs on Buhlman ZH-L8 ADT MB algorithm (Uwatec).

I believe the Meridian is the first watch-type model manufactured by Uwatec (a Scubapro company). Previous Scubapro computers (Scubapro Xtender) were manufactured by Seiko.

Personally, I would pick the Scubapro Meridian over Mares.

Hey All,

I have been checking out board topics and different manufacturer websites and am still looking for advice on a new computer. I had a Mares Nemo Excel which I lost about 2 years ago and am more than ready for a new one. I'm looking for a good recommendation on a nitrox watch style computer, preferably with a free dive mode. I don't need air integration or any other air mixes than nitrox.

I was looking at the Mares matrix but am a little disappointed that it doesn't have the free dive mode. Does any one have any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

G'day, scubanski!

You still can freedive with Mares Matrix by setting it for Gauge, but it doesn't have specific alarms. Check out Scubapro Meridian - it is latest miracle from this company. Or you may have a look at Suunto D4 - it is not new dive computer, but I think it has everything you need!

Best to you!

Back
Top Bottom