Aladin prime won't stay off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ntmainstrm

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wheels up for Bonaire in a few hours and my Aladin keeps turning itself on. Changed batteries, tried turning it off many times and it still comes back on in a few minutes and runs the battery down. Suggestions?

When you scroll through the programs and reach "SEE 1", you will come to the "Contact" screen. Turn that off. This control allows the computer to come on when it is in water. If you turn it off, the computer will still come on underwater at 20 feet. I have mine set to off because it saves on the battery. Also one place I lived was very humid and it kept turning itself on. I was blowing through batteries, and while they are relatively inexpensive, I didn't want to have the battery expire while I was under water and have the computer die on me.

If that doesn't work, then your computer is losing it's mind and will need to be replaced soon. I have had that happen to my first Aladin Prime. Scubapro replaced it after it quietly died on a dive. I have been diving with two computers since that time, but I have not had the replacement Aladin Prime fail me in the 5 or 6 years that I have owned it.

Thanks guys, I remembered about turning off the contacts but didn't know the 'puter turns itself on at twenty ft.
Happy diving

It could be adjusting for apparent altitude changes due to the barometric pressure changes from the in coming storm. If you live at an elevation close to two different altitude zones, your prime will turn on when there is a pressure change to adjust to a different altitude zone.

There is a known problem with some batches of this computer. I had similar problems as well as new batteries fully discharged within 48 hours. After many battery replacements and rented computers, The shop I bought it from finally sent it to SP and it was replaced. My friend bought the same one the same day that I did, from the same batch, but he hasn't used it very much. When I asked if his was also from the defective batch they said yes. I asked if they would call him and let him know, they said that they were only dealing with them when people came in and complained. I said so you are knowingly letting your customers dive with potentially defective computers that SP will replace for free? Many of whom travel and only find out about the problem when they are on vacation? Even when you have records of who you sold to? They made a few lame excuses and just one more reason I no longer use their shop.

It could be adjusting for apparent altitude changes due to the barometric pressure changes from the in coming storm. If you live at an elevation close to two different altitude zones, your prime will turn on when there is a pressure change to adjust to a different altitude zone.

Beaverdivers explanation could be the cause of the autonomous turning on of the Prime, only if you live at the border of two different altitudes zones. On the other hand, Bratface suggestion will certainly cure the problem. However, I would like to point out that the Aladin Prime User Manual states that, if you turn off the water contacts feature, the computer will turn on automatically one (1) minute after commencing the dive. Not when you reach 20 ft.

Beaverdivers explanation could be the cause of the autonomous turning on of the Prime, only if you live at the border of two different altitudes zones. On the other hand, Bratface suggestion will certainly cure the problem. However, I would like to point out that the Aladin Prime User Manual states that, if you turn off the water contacts feature, the computer will turn on automatically one (1) minute after commencing the dive. Not when you reach 20 ft.

Thanks for the correction. Maybe I never paid attention to one minute or 20 feet. I do know that it always comes on during the dive and disabling the water contact on feature cures the problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom