so, is this just another sales pitch????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read often folks making the comment (or are they saying it to justify their selection) regarding the purchase of regulators: It is something of the likes of "don't buy brand XX because it isn't as worldly popular"....

Is this just a regurgitated sales pitch? I think YES! I've been diving for nearly 25 years (in spurts), and quite frankly, haven't had to scrap a vacation due to equipment failure. I haven't experienced folks sobbing in the bar because their equipment malfunctioned and they can't dive....

So, I ask this: What really is the likelihood of a "routinely" serviced piece of equipment really letting you down? And even then (if it might happen), you are at a diving destination - how hard might it be to buy/rent something?

Just throwing this out there, because, quite frankly, I think it falls in the same realm as "its your life line" B.S. fed by the retailers.

I just don't like this thrown out to the new divers if my thoughts are correct....

What are your thoughts?

There are definitely regional pockets of manufacturers (Zeagle is popular here but less so in other places - HOG is not yet completely mainstream). I would still buy any brand/model of reg that I want because as you say, a regularly maintained reg is unlikely to leave you stranded. And, if it does, then as you say, I could always rent. Having said all that, I had my 30 dive HOG regs leave me stranded the last time I tried to dive and had my AL/Dacor regs leave me stranded MANY times. These were all local dives where I would not be able to rent a reg set even if I wanted to. Stuff sometimes happens....the fan gets dirty no matter what we dive.

So, I do not necessarily think it is a complete load of BS but it would not affect my decision either way.

I've seen it happen twice. I've seen thousands upon thousands (maybe 20,000?) of divers. I've see hundreds of hose ruptures, gauge failures, computer battery failures, and other things were able to fix, but I've only seen twice when a trip is aborted due to failure of gear. I now am insured to carry spare regulators for customers rental purposes.

I read often folks making the comment (or are they saying it to justify their selection) regarding the purchase of regulators: It is something of the likes of "don't buy brand XX because it isn't as worldly popular"....

It's true but not especially useful. Anyplace you go diving might or might not have a dive shop nearby and even if there is one, there's no guarantee that they'll have the skills or parts to service any particular regulator, or that they'll have the time to fix it without taking a big chunk out of your vacation.

No matter what brand you buy, there's a good chance that you won't be able to get it fixed wherever you are. On the other hand, if it worked when you left home, it will probably continue working on vacation, and you can usually rent whatever you need. However I don't like rental masks or regs, so I bring a spare of each.

I don't really care about the computer, since in a pinch, my watch will tell me depth and time, and so far, my tables haven't broken, and in reality, as long as the tank strap works, I don't care much about the BC either.

flots.

IHMO it is mostly a bunch of bovine excrement. Saying you should not buy a product because there are no local dealers implies to me that the product may be not reliable. Extend that philosophy to other products like vehicles. All it means is that you might have to travel further for maintenance if and when needed.

It really depends on the area you choose to dive.

In these days where people often travel and live in foreign countries it can make a difference but it's hard to forsee where you'll end up in 10 years. If you're based in SE Asia, then buy something typical for that area. If in Europe, the same.

If you're doing some serious expedition to a far-flung country with little or no dive center support, beg or borrow a friend's reg as a backup in case yours packs in.

At the same time don't overthink it, but know that certain areas are dominated by certain brands. Eg. Apex often deals in metric and you may have difficulty finding a metric hex if you're in a country like the USA.

Finally there is no worldly popular brand- just brands that have dominance in certain parts of the world.

Last edited:
I think that in today's litigious nature in the US, no manufacturer is going put out an unsafe product. They can't afford to.
That being said, reg choices should be made not on only which features are best for your type of diving, but also on the availability in your locale for parts and service. Regs that are maintained and serviced according to manufacturer's specs not only have fewer issues, but it might also put a bit of the onus back on the manufacturer. Sure it'd be nice if parts and service were available world-wide and some brands are more global than others. Yes, stuff happens so it's best to be prepared: carry a back-up or make sure in advance that spares are available for rent if needed. There are some small items that can be included in a tool kit that could help you trouble shoot most problems and get back in the water without huge effort. Most dive ops can help with some of these.

Oh and everything Wookie said...+1.

I agree that it is mostly hype but sometimes things break. I try to buy quality gear and keep it serviced and in good condition. The best plan is to have a back up for the crucial pieces of equipment if you are diving in an area without rental options.

Well, first off, a lot of these regs are made in the same factories, to the same specifications, and "branded" with a particular manufacturer's name on it. In other words, the "manufacturer" is some factory in China, Indonesia, Italy, or elsewhere that cranks out a certain number of pieces for a given brand-name. This is why, for a lot of regulators, you can purchase a service kit that works for several different types of regs. Now, that's not always the case ... even on regs that look alike ... but it is in some cases. So what's brand name really buying you?

Secondly, ALL scuba regulators are inherently safe and reliable if they're properly maintained.

Thirdly, if it's a concern, do what I do on those big trips and pack a spare. I've yet to actually have to use one ... failures on trips have usually amounted to something simple like an o-ring replacement. But it's nice to have a spare set of hoses, or a spare second stage if something goes wrong ... it's often simpler to just swap out a part and worry about fixing it when you get home.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

At the same time don't overthink it, but know that certain areas are dominated by certain brands. Eg. Apex often deals in metric and you may have difficulty finding a metric hex if you're in a country like the USA.

Huh? I got tool chest full of metric tools. The only time they are hard to find is when I forget where I put them. For everything else there are vise grips, duct tape, and bailing wire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom