Fresh-water diving in S. Cal.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've dove some lakes in the Eastern Sierra, but I think they are still ice dives at this point. My recollection of the lakes in Santa Barbara, Ventura and north Los Angeles counties is that visibility is horrible at best.

Vis would be only a couple of feet maximum...I ve dragged my boat out there to wakeboard and never saw my feet....i did wish i had brought my gear out that day to see the bottom composition though...

Vis would be only a couple of feet maximum...I ve dragged my boat out there to wakeboard and never saw my feet....i did wish i had brought my gear out that day to see the bottom composition though...

I wonder what it is that's causing the low vis in Lake Perris and why it's not settling to the bottom.

Fresh water can be fun, but it's kinda creepy too. Remember nearly all lakes in So Cal are Altitude Dive Tables and/or Altitude training.

Be Safe Out There!

it (perris lake water) even stained my girlfriends white bathing suit a weird color of green....It would be awesome if they opened up Diamond Valley Lake with depths of over 300 feet and 50+ foot visibility, but for now its just for fishing a...Ive had 40 foot vis in Lake Havasu in the summer when its at its worse, so i dont know why lake perris has such a problem....

I've made four dives in Lake Perris. There's some vegetation that attracts little fishies of some sort in the shallows, but it quickly turns dark, cold, and lifeless. By 60', it's downright spooky, just an undulating floor of mud that goes on forever. On a day when it was close to 90 at the surface and I was in a T-shirt and shorts, it was already in the low 60s at the 40-50' range. By the time we hit 60', my teeth were chattering so much I could barely keep the reg in my mouth, so I didn't even stick around long enough to check the water temp. Probably in the 50s. Sure felt nice coming back up!

Benefits of Lake Perris: it's free to enter, free to park, and it's wet. But I'd take a lousy day at Redondo over a nice day at Perris any day.

I live pretty close to Perris and I dont care to ever dive there. Why... its a cesspool. Last time I went water-biking I had little black flecks all over my skin and suit. It was oil. Diaper's on the beach. Wow.. Sad really.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom