Jackson Blue Accident?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no - I've heard nothing of an accident at Jackson Blue - and usually I would. What have you heard? There's nothing on the Cave Diver Forum...
Rick

I just got this via the Quest E-mail group...

=========================================

Jonathan Gol was found dead in the basin at Jackson a week ago. He was not supposed to be diving at all. Since he was diving with a friend and not with the WKPP, there was nobody to stop him. We had him on medical "leave" from our operations.

As you all know, a few weeks ago Jonathan picked up a viral infection in South America that caused him to be hospitalized for a week with brain swelling, seizures, and a serious infection. He was being treated for all of that and was told not to dive by his doctor ( I know, I know - that seems pretty obvious).

Anyway, Jonathan was "feeling" better , his friend said, so he tried a little test dive at Jackson - 45 minutes total in-water - and he paid with his life. His friend and paramedics were unable to revive him. We do not know the rest of the details but will get the coroner's report when available and hopefully it will contain information that will allow others from making a mistake like this. My guess is that there is nothing here to do with his gas since that cave is so shallow and the exposure so short.

Anyway, while this is not really a "cave diving accident" per se, it will be added to the total body count that is sooner or later going to get us all booted out of everywhere. I see where the State of Florida banned shark feeding yesterday, and that has only killed a few people. Don't bet against the public loosing access to caves sooner or later.

Once again, as Casey says, we know the rules of diving, we need to show some personal judgment on and off the field.

This was the first part of the mail that Jay posted above...

George
Do you want to add to this and forward to the lists?
Unfortunately, details have not yet been determined.

Casey

WKPP
We are not yet fully aware of the details surrounding the death of Jonathan but should know more once the medical tests and gas analysis is done. Until then I do not have much to comment on except George makes a valid point. Medical conditions and medications of any sort need to be carefully considered given the environments we operate in and the types of gasses we use. These are not South Florida lobster dives on air. While I realize this potentially impacts very few people on the team it needs to be discussed and the appropriate research done. Get working on it and if there are those of you on the team with questions let's get them out in the open. The resources exist within the WKPP to better understand the medical aspects of what we do.

Secondly, this further illustrates the importance of a strong dive partner - both being one and having one. You need to carefully choose your dive partners and both George and I strongly believe there is no excuse for not diving almost exclusively with your fellow team members. Do yourself a favor and lose the charity case. Sure, you may be confident in your ability to get anyone out of a bad situation but who's going to look out for you? You may look like a strong diver around idiots but your not doing yourself any favors. Get together with the same group of divers and work on teamwork, communication and awareness in the water. Knowing the habits of your fellow dive partners and being able to predict behavior and responses in different situations is key. Surprises and unpredictability have no business in this type of activity and will inevitably result in injury or death.

I must also reemphasize the importance of being in close proximity to your dive partners during decompression. George has said it before and I strongly agree, the decompression along with oxygen issues present the most risk. You need to be there to immediately assist with a problem. You need to be in your partner's face when making a bottle switch. All sites are not like Wakulla where you have several people in the water ready to assist. You may find yourself dealing with this alone and possibly getting injured yourself to save someone's life.

I am saddened by this event and hope to understand more once the test results are in. Let's start doing the right thing for ourselves and our team members.

Casey

In a very short period of time the WKPP naysayers will be twisting this incident and calling it a "WKPP death."

Yes, the person who died was a WKPP member, but it was not a WKPP dive.

This has about as much to do with the WKPP as if my death in a car accident would be another "AAA death."

Roak

The issue here isn't who the diver was associated with or even what kind of dive he was attempting. The real issue is that for whatever reasons, another diver is dead. There's no room for "turf protection" here. I'm sure the entire dive community will be saddened to hear of this. I am.:tree:Bob.

Originally posted by Bob
The issue here isn't who the diver was associated with...
Bob, no argument from me on this. I was just pointing out that shortly there WILL be folks who DO think who the diver was associated with IS an issue and will be using it as an excuse to slam the WKPP.

Roak

Originally posted by Jay

Anyway, while this is not really a "cave diving accident" per se, it will be added to the total body count that is sooner or later going to get us all booted out of everywhere. I see where the State of Florida banned shark feeding yesterday, and that has only killed a few people. Don't bet against the public loosing access to caves sooner or later.

[/B]

This would be a definite loss to the diving community. Never been in a cave, but would like to try. Time to bump Ginnie Springs up on the places to dive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom