Wreck Alley- its sweet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrbeast1414

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

Im 17 and a relatively new diver. I got my advanced certification with PADI and have 20 dives under my belt, primarily in Monterrey. While visiting colleges in Socal, I really wanted to dive the famous Wreck Alley of San Diego.

And it was definitely worth the hype. I had the privilege of diving with some Scuba Diver Girls aboard the Humbolt. For our first dive, the surface conditions were perfect with 15 foot vis under the surface. The Yukon was incredible. We approached from the front and the first time I laid eyes on the wreck (my first wreck dive ever) my heart definitely skipped a beat. A highlight for me were the guns and I even got a pic with the main one (just with my buddies little handheld one). It took two dives to cover the entire wreck. I even got a picture with the pirate flag someone attached to the mast haha. For the third dive, the vis deteriorated a little but the Ruby E was still great. It was super easy to picture the cutter as it was in its prime. I was even able, with strict supervision by a divemaster, was able to penetrate the engine room and the cabin. It was truly breathtaking to be inside a ship that was under 85+ feet of water.

How were youre experiences in wreck alley and besides Tuck Lagoon, what are other great wrecks one can dive (non-tech diving)?

Thanks!
Nick

P.S. Some pics attached.

Attachments

• dive5.JPG
    dive5.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 70
  • dive1.JPG
    dive1.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 57
  • dive7.JPG
    dive7.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 61
  • dive10.JPG
    dive10.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 61
Yukon and many of her sister ships were used as artificial reefs around British Columbia and also Nova Scotia Canada.
Within driving distance of my place we have Mackenzie, Saskatchewan, Columbia, Chaudiere and soon to be Annapolis. The former Cape Breton is sunk in Nanaimo BC and is much bigger than the Yukon and is of older design, more like a WWII Liberty ship. All these ships are within reach of an AOW diver.
I like diving Yukon because I sailed in her for several years in the Navy but San Diego is a little far for me for regular visits so I am content with diving Saskachewan which is basically the same ship (although it sits upright).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom