Padi Instructor Levels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j-valve

Contributor
Reaction score
What level does a Padi Instructor need to be to teach a Rescue Diver course? Is it the same level as the Medic First Aid?

J

An Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) can teach Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Rescue, and Divemasters. Emergency First Response (EFR) [the successor to Medic First Aid] requires separate instructor training (as did MFA).

Thanks WileEDiver. That's most of what I thought. An instructor that could teach MFA that has not updated to EFR can still teach RD just not the EFR, or is the whole mess on hold?

J

The "first aid" courses (MFA and EFR) are actually a separate track from the PADI scuba courses, so for purposes of discussion, it would be better to keep them separate.

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...
An OWSI can teach Rescue Diver even if they can't teach MFA or EFR.
I'm sorry, Drew, didn't I say that?

Also, BTW, a Divemaster or Assistant Instructor can teach EFR (and MFA) with proper (instructor) training.

Thanks guys. I was worried that my RD instructor was dragging his feet because he didn't have all the certs up to date. I guess it's just the freezing cold and scheduling conflicts that are holding things up.

J

j-valve once bubbled...
Thanks guys. I was worried that my RD instructor was dragging his feet because he didn't have all the certs up to date. I guess it's just the freezing cold and scheduling conflicts that are holding things up.

J

Who is you instructor? I'm in Ottawa...PM me.

:doctor:
A OWSI may teach Rescue classes. The EFR class may be instructed by a Divemaster or higher who has been trained to teach that class

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom