Side mount single tank appropriate for recreational Open Water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turt1e

Registered
Reaction score
I understand that side mount doubles is intended mainly for cave and wreck diving, but I'm wondering about it's use for recreational tropical water diving when only using one tank instead of two. Is this kind of setup doable for someone who is purely a recreational warm water and shallow ocean water (don't usually dive deeper than 60 feet) diver or just to much trouble and just better off strapping the tank to my back.

The only reason I even got interested in this whole side mount thing is I've been currently looking at replacing my current wing back inflate BCD with a travel size harness type like a Dive-Rite transpac or Zeagle Express Tech, which seems to open up side mount as a possibility.

And just so I'm clear here, I'm not really at this point interested in trying to learn the complexity of dealing and rigging two tanks, just moving the current take from my back to my side.

Appreciate any input ,

Paul

Of course it is doable. I dive SM all the time in OW shallow <100' reefs. I usually do two tanks, but one is fine. What are your reasons for wanting to switch? Is it just to get a smaller BC/Wing?

I'm not necessarily sure I really want to switch actually. The interest in a smaller BC/Wing has more to do with being tired of lugging around my current bulky BC and other gear when going on vacation. I would probably just use the resort BC's but I hate using jacket BCs. Thus my search for a very minimalist travel setup. And in that search I happened across SM. It seems at first glance to be a superior way of diving versus Back mount. But as with everything else I'm sure the devil is in the details. I'm just trying to see if it might be right for me and find out what some of those sticky details might be.

My first reaction is why would you want to SM for the dives you say you like to do (my dives are very similar - read your TP vs ET thread). Sidemount would allow you to carry more gas but unless you are doing long deco dives, I don't see a need for more gas, this is esp true if you are doing any kind of resort diving - ie- on their time schedule. You should be able to get at least 70 to 90 minutes out of a single 80 in 50 ft or less when diving with a camera. Just looking at SM, I don't SM yet but have looked into it and it would appear to me that it would also cause some issues when doing macro photography, namely the tanks would be in the way, esp if you are close to the bottom or would flop around in a manner I would not like when upside down, a position I get into some times when that's the only angle that works for my camera and that I can keep off the reef at the same time. I can see where SM has it's advantages, just not in the application you have in mind.....on the other hand if what you intend is to use it for long, likely deco dives then it may have an application but what about your buddy or are you intending to dive solo which brings up the need for a lot more equipment and planning. Not knocking SM, just questioning it's use in the application you have in mind.

---------- Post added April 17th, 2012 at 07:24 AM ----------

And one more thought, SM requires an additional reg which just increased the amount of gear you have to transport. Another step away for being as mimimual as possible.

Sidemount only requires an additional reg if you are using additional tanks. 1 tank = 1 reg.

I love SM, but would not say it is superior to BM. It is simply just another tool. If you are looking for a lightweight travel setup, take a look at the Oxycheq soft backplate setups with a small wing. Even with my AL backplate, I can fit my entire rig in a carry-on bag without a problem. A typical Hogarthian BP/W setup is pretty dang minimal.

Something like this backplate
Ca's Hogarthian Harness and Oxycheq Backplate [cahhbp] - $87.50 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

With a small wing like
Oxycheq Mach V - Signature Series 18lb [ROW-08-30] - $272.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

might be just the answer for you.

Or something like this travel set, which is very light weight
Oxycheq Color Travel Plate & Wing with harness and cambands [OCcolorplatewing] - $357.00 : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

Diving a single tank in the SM configuration does not require any additional regulators...

I dive OW with a single SM tank every so often without any real negative results.

You can always simply get a smaller back inflate BC with a smaller lift capacity if you want a smaller travel setup. I'm not certain a single SM setup will give you a smaller "package" if you are looking at Transpacs and Zeagles.

Obviously you can SM just one tank and therefore one reg but what's the point? Not trying to be negative, I just don't see the advantage of SM with a single tank. Like I said before, I do not currently dive SM so I am sure there is much I don't know, the reason for the questions actually, but I would assume the tank has to be slung across the body somehow otherwise it would have a significant effect on trim. If it is slung across the body, the tank would create a lot of excessive drag and be in the way when near a reef or close to the bottom.

The tank is still slung the same way as in double tank SM. It stays right along your side. This can be done and not effect balance if you balance your rig properly.

As for an advantage, well that is all perception. Personally, I like not having a tank on my back so I remain flexible. I like to be able to see my valve and have very easy access to it. You can jump in the water and have a tank handed to you and clip it on, or hand it up when climbing out. No walking with the tank on your back.

Do you move weights to the left side to compensate for the tank and reg? That would not be possible for me as I don't wear enough weight to offset the tank/reg.

This all depends on the tanks you are using, but a single AL80 isn't going to throw you off any.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom