Too many BC'S Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
=-) Been 8 years since I purchased my last BC and am now trying to decide which is the best one to suit my diving style. I find that each of my LDS recomend based on what they sell and are generally staffed by divers with less experience than me. So question to all ....if you dive in both cold water (home)and tropical (vacation) equally and are starting to get into wreck diving which BC would you reccomend? Thanks

The Silverback once bubbled...
am now trying to decide which is the best one to suit my diving style...
What is your diving style?

The Silverback once bubbled...
[Bif you dive in both cold water (home)and tropical (vacation) equally and are starting to get into wreck diving which BC would you reccomend? Thanks [/B]

A SS backplate is very versatile, functional, and will adapt to about any style diving you wish to do. Buy the wing according to the tank style (single or double) and away you go.
There are numerous posts here regarding what's available, how to setup and rig, and how to size a wing.

MD

I know there have been many posts similar to this, heck I even posted one.
There are two other factors that you need to decide as well... do you go with BP/W or a standard jacket style BC???
The only way to find out is to try them both and see which one you like and feel more comfortable with. I think most BC's would do fine in both cold and warmer waters... but the most important factor is comfort.

Go with a backplate/wing setup. You will save money in the long run as it can adapt to any dive condition or need, from beginning recreational to the most technical diving situation.

boney once bubbled...

I think most BC's would do fine in both cold and warmer waters... but the most important factor is comfort.

One of the problems with jacket style BCs and warm/cold water is size. If you size a BC for warmwater (skin/light wetsuit) it may be too small for coldwater (heavy wetsuit/drysuit). That is what originally led me to a bp&w.
Now I can go from a drysuit and doubles to a 3mm wetsuit and singles with no adjustment to the plate at all.

MD

boney once bubbled...
I didn't think of that one MechDiver... Shows you how long its been since I've been in warm water... DOH!

I now consider anything over 55F warmwater :(

MechDiver once bubbled...

I now consider anything over 55F warmwater :(

Yeah, me too. Anything over 55F is tropical ..... still diving wet in the mid 40s, which is getting chilly, but still tolerable.

Go with the Dive-Rite Transpac II. It can be found at LP for $350 and is a great alternative between the traditional jacket style BCs and the popular backplate/wing setup.

The Transpac is extremely modular and should you want to try a backplate, just connect a plate ($100) to your harness and make it a "Transplate", while keeping all you BC accessories (weight pockets, wings, clips, etc.). If you need more lift (i.e. for doubles) get a larger wing. No need to get a new BC altogether.

It is the best of both worlds and relatively inexpensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom