Sidemount Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Great article! As you know, I dive AL80 in SM currently and want to change to steels when I get home. I was considering the Faber 85's, but am now reconsidering. The Faber 85's almost act like my AL80's do. Faber 95's were also on the list for consideration, and they still are. Never really thought about the Worthington LP85's and HP100's though.

I am picking up a set of HP100s this weekend, I'll post up how they trim out as I will being doing a SM dive with them right after...I too have only used al80s thus far. I like that they will still be a bit negative at the end of the dive, hopefully that will keep them in nice trim

The Worthington LP85 are go to tanks for drysuit diving. I need need 2lbs of trim weight down to about 1600PSI, below 1600PSI I add another 4 lbs of lead. I use the Hollis 4 1/2 inch clips with about 2 to 3 inches of leash and attach them to the butt plate and they trim nicely and can stay attached to the butt plate for the entire dive. I also have Worthington HP100 and would be my second choice for drysuit diving. When I diving wetsuit I still like the AL80, just not quite as negative.

I will soon be switching over to SM and will be breaking down my double Faber 85's. Would it be possible to place some kind of weight on the lower end of the tanks to compensate for the increase in buoyancy?

Tracy, you can do that. Some do that with AL80's. Personally I do not prefer to do that. I would rather the weight stay on me, not the tank. I also don't like adding a sang potential adding a weight to the cam band. That's just me. I would have to say you can add some forward d-rings like us AL80 guys do and once they get buoyant you can move them to a forward hip d-ring.

Very informative article which I read the other day on your FB page. Thanks for posting it.

Tracy, you can do that. Some do that with AL80's. Personally I do not prefer to do that. I would rather the weight stay on me, not the tank. I also don't like adding a sang potential adding a weight to the cam band. That's just me. I would have to say you can add some forward d-rings like us AL80 guys do and once they get buoyant you can move them to a forward hip d-ring.

Thanks James. That makes more sense. I'm sure Edd can fix me up with that.

Heck, Edd might have a better idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom