Bus & Collectivo Maps - Public Transportation in Cozumel [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Bus & Collectivo Maps - Public Transportation in Cozumel

Sponsored Link

ccannon707
April 18th, 2012, 06:55 PM
This link is to a 16 page .pdf document on Public Transportation in Cozumel... in English. It has info on Ferries, Airlines, Plan Local cards and - the gold mine for me - bus & collectivo maps. Lately I've been staying in town on 10th in the North and love, love, love that I can walk where I want or take a bus if I'm hot, tired, late, carrying packages or dive gear. I've had several aventuras finding friend's houses back in the hood via the bus system and have longed for a route map.... TA-DA!!!

On my aventuras I stand on a corner and flag down a bus or collectivo on 15th going South to Chedraui and get off (all routes begin and end at Chedraui). There I ask the men in charge which Bus# to take to my destination. They are always very polite and spot on with their info. Then in my bad Spanish I ask locals on the bus where to get off, if it's not evident. Many of the nice people of Cozumel love helping and it's always worked out. Now with the maps I will know more about where I'm going and how to get there - and back.

http://everythingcozumel.com/22publictransp.pdf

So far no buses to the beaches in the North or South or to the Caleta... maybe someday. For that I take a cab or go with friends.

mediumone
April 18th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks for taking the time. The link is a fabulous resource. Do you know of a map that would show most of the zones (so to speak) so that I could look a the taxi tarriff chart and figure out how much I should be charged?

For example, I'd like to know what the correct charge is from the ferry dock to Caleta, and from the ferry dock to Hotel Villa Blanca. I'm not familiar enough with the various locations and landmarks to figure out the answers without some help.

BTW, I asked what the correct charge was for the ferry dock to the marina, and was told 90 Pesos.

MMM
April 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM
What a FABULOUS resource. What do other board denizens think about making this a sticky?

MMM
April 18th, 2012, 10:16 PM
That is roughly the right amount. It changes a bit from time to time and exactly where you get on but FWIW, you will pay a bit more if you get on at the ferry terminal. Walking a couple of blocks away can change everything. I live just off 11th and pay about 90 pesos to the caleta which is well past Villa Blanca hotel. But I think they are in the same zone so it is the same fare.

Thanks for taking the time. The link is a fabulous resource. Do you know of a map that would show most of the zones (so to speak) so that I could look a the taxi tarriff chart and figure out how much I should be charged?

For example, I'd like to know what the correct charge is from the ferry dock to Caleta, and from the ferry dock to Hotel Villa Blanca. I'm not familiar enough with the various locations and landmarks to figure out the answers without some help.

BTW, I asked what the correct charge was for the ferry dock to the marina, and was told 90 Pesos.

Karibelle
April 18th, 2012, 10:21 PM
That's fantastic! It says it's Chapter 22 - of what, I wonder?

Pelagicsal
April 18th, 2012, 10:23 PM
It would be a great sticky to have, but I think we already have too many stickies and too much clutter at the top of the forum.
Those using a smaller monitor or lower resolution have to scroll to see anything of the Cozumel forum other than ads, subforums, stickies, etc.
Thank you for asking!

And thank you for the great resource!

DandyDon
April 18th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Very neat. :thumb:

See TaxiCozumel.com at taxicozumel (http://www.taxicozumel.com) It's in Spanish, but google translate gives a good idea. I'm still trying to figure out what Villablanca is close to on the list tho. :confused:

I saw with VB is charging $10/day for internet now. :mad:

MMM
April 18th, 2012, 10:30 PM
It would be a great sticky to have, but I think we already have too many stickies and too much clutter at the top of the forum.Thank you for asking!

It might be time to unstick the intro of me and and Jim as forum moderators. I could ask Quero about that possibility of there was enough interest.....

ggunn
April 19th, 2012, 08:01 AM
It would be a great sticky to have, but I think we already have too many stickies and too much clutter at the top of the forum.
Those using a smaller monitor or lower resolution have to scroll to see anything of the Cozumel forum other than ads, subforums, stickies, etc.
Thank you for asking.

I agree.

kixy1
April 19th, 2012, 09:25 AM
MMM-

I think it's a great idea. Maybe call it "How to Get Around Cozumel" or something. I know there have been some great posts with step by step instructions walking people through landing at the airport and getting to their hotel. Better yet, the bag drag! Maybe we could move those in there too? I KNOW there is a link here somewhere to the Taxi fares and zones... And yes, you could probably remove your intro, we know who you are :)

These are questions we see asked regularly here, so I think in the long run it may help reduce "clutter".

Debra

Mossman
April 19th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I second the notion, though I doubt I'll ever use it. There are only 5 "stickies" as I see it. Anyone whose monitor is too small to easily scroll past them simply need to buy a new monitor, not make everyone else suffer as a result. Though I don't see why Quero's admonition from February still needs to be up there. Hopefully whomever that was meant for has gotten the message by now?

cvchief
April 19th, 2012, 10:13 AM
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzVoMmbNw7WsSFBId0ZxNVFOT28

Try this one you can actually print....

I tried to put it as an unlocked PDF in the SB file attachment system but it was too big for it because of the maps I guess? Powers That Be, feel free to save it to the site or something.

MMM
April 19th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Not knowing what this is from, I am now wondering if there would be a copyright issue??? I wouldn't want to land ScubaBoard into legal trouble with a copyright infraction....

DandyDon
April 19th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I suppose one could easily print out the map pages from the link in post #1 - which are a section from Everything about Cozumel - Home

(http://www.everythingcozumel.com/)
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzVoMmbNw7WsSFBId0ZxNVFOT28

Try this one you can actually print....

I tried to put it as an unlocked PDF in the SB file attachment system but it was too big for it because of the maps I guess? Powers That Be, feel free to save it to the site or something.
I am confused? :confused: Why not just download 22publictransp from the link at the top, print off what you want? Or will it not print...??

The board limit on PDF file uploads is 400 Kb which is why you could not attach the 1.32 Mb file.

Pelagicsal
April 19th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Hey thanks Chief! Having that in Google docs is a beautiful thing!!
Think I might go ahead and download it to the iPad, too...

cvchief
April 19th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I suppose one could easily print out the map pages from the link in post #1 - which are a section from Everything about Cozumel - Home

I am confused? :confused: Why not just download 22publictransp from the link at the top, print off what you want? Or will it not print...??

The board limit on PDF file uploads is 400 Kb which is why you could not attach the 1.32 Mb file.

DD, don't tramp on my mad computer skills. The original file was a secured pdf. No print function in adobe at least. I 'unsecured' it and re-posted so you can print it. And yes it was to big for an attachment.

---------- Post added April 19th, 2012 at 03:07 PM ----------

I am not a Google Doc wiz. I set it to anyone with the link can view assuming that would let you download and all. Now I got a request to edit it, so maybe view wasn't enough, so I opened it to edit.

As for copyright, I have no idea where it came from. I just unlocked the document that was already posted so you could print it. Plus it isn't a commercial use. If some one wants to pay me, let me know and I will research the copyright! :)

Pelagicsal
April 19th, 2012, 03:21 PM
As for copyright, I have no idea where it came from. I just unlocked the document that was already posted so you could print it. Plus it isn't a commercial use. If some one wants to pay me, let me know and I will research the copyright! :)

Maybe whoever owns the rights should pay you for advertising? I opened the G doc, liked what I read, went to the site, and am considering buying the Kindle version of Cozumel Survival Guide. Without your work, I'd probably never have looked at it. :clapping:

DandyDon
April 19th, 2012, 03:22 PM
DD, don't tramp on my mad computer skills. The original file was a secured pdf. No print function in adobe at least. I 'unsecured' it and re-posted so you can print it. And yes it was to big for an attachment.
I had not noticed that the pages were secured to prevent printing.

I am not a Google Doc wiz. I set it to anyone with the link can view assuming that would let you download and all. Now I got a request to edit it, so maybe view wasn't enough, so I opened it to edit.

Why edit...?

It came from Everything about Cozumel - Home (http://www.everythingcozumel.com/) which sells other maps, but I guess these are open for viewing - just not printing. As far as copyright laws, that's not the point. Even unpaid copying can be a violation, sure. There are Fair Use exceptions, but you are well beyond that I think. The real point is whether the owner will take action, and then there are the moral issues. Maybe you could request permission to offer a printable copy with full credit given....?

cvchief
April 19th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Why edit...?

I have no idea. Someone wanted to for some reason. Ya got me.

It came from Everything about Cozumel - Home (http://www.everythingcozumel.com/) which sells other maps, but I guess these are open for viewing - just not printing. As far as copyright laws, that's not the point. Even unpaid copying can be a violation, sure. There are Fair Use exceptions, but you are well beyond that I think. The real point is whether the owner will take action, and then there are the moral issues. Maybe you could request permission to offer a printable copy with full credit given....?

Well, morally, I just made a document SOMEONE ELSE posted printable. Did you read the entire thing to see if it says it is copyrighted? I didn't see it. Heck, I didn't read it. I never saw the original site either. Is this map a sale item?

But thanks for questioning my morality there, DD.

DandyDon
April 19th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Copyright laws are funny....

Mossman
April 20th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Not knowing what this is from, I am now wondering if there would be a copyright issue??? I wouldn't want to land ScubaBoard into legal trouble with a copyright infraction....
Just don't go there, that's all. The board should have plenty of immunity from such claims as long as it stays neutral. Then it's just an innocent clearing house of reposted info. Only when moderators get involved and start parsing stuff could someone get in trouble. Honestly, the best thing Netdoc could do is to fire all the moderators and let the board go free. Any moderation of any sort means that there are people that actually read the posts and thereby sanction what's left over, not a very good legal position the next time he gets sued, but that's just my opinion as a mere lawyer. What the heck do I know?

cvchief
April 20th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Just don't go there, that's all. The board should have plenty of immunity from such claims as long as it stays neutral. Then it's just an innocent clearing house of reposted info. Only when moderators get involved and start parsing stuff could someone get in trouble. Honestly, the best thing Netdoc could do is to fire all the moderators and let the board go free. Any moderation of any sort means that there are people that actually read the posts and thereby sanction what's left over, not a very good legal position the next time he gets sued, but that's just my opinion as a mere lawyer. What the heck do I know?

Thanks for leaping to MY defense, there Perry......

Mossman
April 20th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for leaping to MY defense, there Perry......
Sorry, but there's really no defense. I admit you got me on the legality of smoking Cuban cigars in Mexico, so in return I'll advise you that you're dead wrong on the copyright issues. (As for leaping to your defense, of course I can do that. Would you like my address where you can send the retainer check?)

They don't need to put a (c) notice, it's just more helpful: "If a notice of copyright in the form and position specified by this section appears on the published copy or copies to which a defendant in a copyright infringement suit had access, then no weight shall be given to such a defendant’s interposition of a defense based on innocent infringement in mitigation of actual or statutory damages, except as provided in the last sentence of section 504(c)(2)."
(c)
Statutory Damages.—

(1) Except as provided by clause (2) of this subsection, the copyright owner may elect, at any time before final judgment is rendered, to recover, instead of actual damages and profits, an award of statutory damages for all infringements involved in the action, with respect to any one work, for which any one infringer is liable individually, or for which any two or more infringers are liable jointly and severally, in a sum of not less than $750 or more than $30,000 as the court considers just. For the purposes of this subsection, all the parts of a compilation or derivative work constitute one work. (2) In a case where the copyright owner sustains the burden of proving, and the court finds, that infringement was committed willfully, the court in its discretion may increase the award of statutory damages to a sum of not more than $150,000. In a case where the infringer sustains the burden of proving, and the court finds, that such infringer was not aware and had no reason to believe that his or her acts constituted an infringement of copyright, the court in its discretion may reduce the award of statutory damages to a sum of not less than $200. The court shall remit statutory damages in any case where an infringer believed and had reasonable grounds for believing that his or her use of the copyrighted work was a fair use under section 107, if the infringer was: (i) an employee or agent of a nonprofit educational institution, library, or archives acting within the scope of his or her employment who, or such institution, library, or archives itself, which infringed by reproducing the work in copies or phonorecords; or (ii) a public broadcasting entity which or a person who, as a regular part of the nonprofit activities of a public broadcasting entity (as defined in section 118(f)) infringed by performing a published nondramatic literary work or by reproducing a transmission program embodying a performance of such a work.

DandyDon
April 20th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Told ya' those laws are funny...

Mossman
April 20th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Told ya' those laws are funny...
Some people get uppity about their copyrights, others don't care. I remember the brouha in the ABC forum when someone innocently posted a couple pages of a popular shore diving guide that he had reworked into a computer version. At least that guy was in the right. Cvchief is nothing but a scoundrel. Heck, I bet he even copied that weird banana thing. And I've heard he was even contemplating drinking counterfeit Havana Club. Shame, shame.

DandyDon
April 20th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Yeah, it really depends on whether the copyright owner wants to take action or not - and I bet the site he got it from in not the owner, as they got those maps from the transportation company who would like for people to print them I bet! :cool:

MMM
April 20th, 2012, 11:18 PM
And so back to the topic of public transportation in Cozumel...right? The OT discussion of laws regarding US citizens and Cuba have been moved here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/general-travel-vacation-discussions/417978-cuba-us-citizens-legal-issues.html

ccannon707
April 21st, 2012, 07:51 PM
I had no idea this .pdf doc wouldn't print as I was able to print it out at home using a Linux/Ubuntu/Gnome OS... it downloaded to a generic doc reader and just printed. Since it was a .pdf I figured Abobe Acrobat would suffice on Windows and Mac computers. So I posted the info. After seeing the hoo-rah-rah posts about the locked doc in my e-mail I finally got to a regular Windows PC with Adobe and... it wouldn't print for me either.... Dang!

BIG THANKS to Chief for converting it to a printable doc so everyone can access this great resource. Huzzah! and a beer on me at El Fish. I'll be there this June for you to collect. :)

And also a big thanks to Ric Hajovsky of everythingcozumel.com for getting these maps from the Dept of Transportation of Cozumel and posting them. His site is kind of under the radar and there is a lot of good info on it. To have maps of the bus and collectivo routes has been a goal of mine. When I last visited the island, August/Sept 2011, I finally tracked down the Dept of Transportation and spoke to the guy in charge about getting them so I could post them online. He was happy to hear gringos cared to know this information and was very willing to share it... but there was some technical difficulty and my limited Spanish wasn't getting it. It was my last day... I was running out of time and couldn't get back to get the data myself. I seriously doubt there is a copyright issue as it is Mexican Government Public Info. I'm also hoping everythingcozumel.com is getting a big spike in traffic from the whole thing. And that visitors feel more confident about riding the buses and collectivos in town. At 7p a ride (about 50 cents) it is a real bargain.

One funny thing I noticed on these maps. 30th aka Coldwell is spelled Codwell on several of them. (??)

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1