D90 Housing - consistant frustration - anyone else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VicScubaVentures

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have to start by saying that I absolutely LOVE the Ike housing I bought (from an authorized dealer) for my D90 back in November/December. I've turned the corner from taking snapshots to taking photos, where composition and ligting are major considerations.

However, I've found a recurring "bug" that has taken the joy out of a couple dives recently and cost me some really great photo opportunities.

I think the camera on/off dial tip is making contact with the shutter release dial tip and forcing the rubber shutter release nib off of its post. Without the nib, the shutter button does not have sufficient range to activate the D90 shutter, and I wind up carrying a large paperweight for the remainder of the dive.
This has happened 4x in the span of a week during my trip to Roatan. I've tried adding 'thickness' to the shutter release post by rolling some first aid tape (then electrician's tape) around it for a couple turns, hoping to give the rubber nib some additional bite ... but the power switch interferes and pops the nib off. Arrrhhhggghh!!!

Having also tried some automotive silicone insta-gasket as adehsive, but the nib still gets knocked off the post. I'm contemplating a dab of contact cement, or stepping up to JB Weld.

Anyone else with this problem?? I'd love to send it back to Ike, but the postage from Canada is a killer!!!!! Anyone from Ike care to weigh in on a solution??

Thanks,
Craig.

I had the exact same problem. I asked Ikelite about it, and they suggested crazy glue. Well, I went to the local hobby shop, and got a quality brand THICK cyanoacrylate (crazy glue). So far, so good. It's held up for six months or so now.

Thanks for the reply kombiguy. I found the earlier post you'd made on this topic. Here's a LINK to the earlier thread for anyone with similar problems.

I suspect that Ike didn't do a very good job afixing the nib to the metal post in the first place. There's no glue residue on either the nib or the post. Quality control issue perhaps?

C.

Back
Top Bottom