Miflex hoses for SPG and XS Scuba's poor customer service - what options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris66

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a miflex hose that is subject to the total recall. I am due to fly to Bahamas for dive trip in 2 weeks and so called XS scuba to see if my recall could be expedited - they essentially told me not their problem. They would get to it when they got to it. What are my options regarding these hoses. If this is under recall can I request that I be refunded for the hoses so I can go out and get new hoses or do I have to put up with their poor attitude and even worse service?

this cracks me up..... this is a voluntary recall that the Manufacturer (Miflex) is agreeing to do. The unfortunate mess is that XS was the US source for these, and is having to be the recipient. Be happy you are getting a replacement.

I (who owns one of these) looks at it this way: buy a second hose (oh my, that might set you back $50). Use it while you process your return. when you get the replacement, either use it, and now you also have a spare for your "save-a-dive kit", or vise-versa.

Heck, roll the dice and use it on your trip. process the return when you get back if $50 prevents you from diving....

I guess you are right. Certainly will be the last time I ever look at anything related to XS Scuba and to think that I was about to purchase a set of steel from them for me and my wife.

Jeez, c'mon. Get a new hose, be glad your hose doesn't blow on the boat trashing your dive, take the miflex as a spare and turn it in when you get home. Or, take the risk and happily go on vacation. It's not like you are cave diving there...

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 01:33 PM ----------

I guess you are right. Certainly will be the last time I ever look at anything related to XS Scuba and to think that I was about to purchase a set of steel from them for me and my wife.

If you want the Worthingtons, they will come from XS, regardless of where you buy them. XS is the exclusive dealer for Worthington steels. Now, Faber is another different story. I don't see that XS is treating you poorly. They have some tens of thousands of hoses to replace (out of a crew of 6 on my boat, 4 have miflex), and there probably aren't tens of thousands of hoses anywhere in the country to replace them with in an emergency. The scuba market just isn't that big. So, they will do the best they can and replace them as they come in and hoses are available. You might go to the LDS where you bought the Miflex originally, likely the same shop you arranged your travel through and see if they can help you sooner, after all it's their trip you are going on, right? :wink:

They have an excellent product line and I have not heard much of anything regarding bad service with them. With a big recall, they probably simply could not give you a definitive time-line regarding delivery...

There have been 180 blow outs. There is nothing voluntary about this recall. When they took my money they agreed to provide me with a safe product and 180 episodes tell me that it is not a safe product. This is a blow out, not a small discoloration after 800 dives. Do we need to wait for a fatality before it becomes the responsible thing to do?

Yes I do feel for XS but they made a profit off the hoses and so yes it does fall onto their shoulders.

Please also don't make value judgements on what $50 should or shouldn't mean to me. I bought a product that cost me $50 and should have lasted several years and now I am forced to give up more money because the company that made it and the company that supplied it rushed it to market before adequate R&D was done. If $50 is nothing I will send you my address and you can buy me another hose.

You could check to see if your LDS has some of the new hoses and will exchange it for you. I have heard of one shop I think is doing that. You can also switch back to a cheaper rubber hose for around $30 and then keep it as a spare.

I understand that but apparently everyone has good customer service until they dont. I certainly understand that they have a huge recall on their hands but when someone takes the time to call and explains that they need the item and would it be possible to please take my name and process my return as soon as the item arrives in and I am pretty much told: "No we cant do that , I cant help you" then all pretense of good customer service goes out the window.

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 09:57 AM ----------

My issue with them is not that they cant help me but that they have chosen not to help me. I am sure that a simple list of people that require a slightly expedited schedule would go a long way to keeping a happy customer base. Customer service is not how you handle the customer that has no issues but how you handle the customer that does have issues. I am not a believer that the customer is always right but at the same time what I am requesting would require a minimum of effort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom