A Shrimp On The Bargy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
With poor vis everywhere we were limited to another dive on the Redondo Barge this morning. We tried blue water diving, but Merry couldn't see her fins at depth six miles offshore.
At the barge, I kept my lens buried, looking for any tiny animals crawling around in the dark water. I found a variety of critters today.
Tritonia festivas crawled between branches of red gorgonian and across the back of a sea cucumber. A small patch of fish eggs are slowly developing. Merry found them last week, so we need to keep an eye out for, well, eyes!
Each time I looked closely at a rock, shrimp would scatter. I bought a Sola focus light from Kevin Lee that has a red light. When I use it, the animals don't seem to see it and stop long enough for a photo. I even used it on a rarely seen Zebra goby. It let me get within two inches.
Other sightings included unusual worms, nudibranchs and a couple of tiny scallops which also didn't react to the red light.
Way too many pics for Scubaboard. See today's efforts at A Shrimp On The Bargy

Thank you so much for those photos, they are truly wonderful.

That blue/purple shrimp with the orange legs. Does it have a false... head? Incredible!
Seeing the fish eggs so close up is an absolute treat.
One of the nudibranch shots is so vibrant that they don't look real!
And the shell at the end... the shots are creepy, and remind me of the huge lollopping cow tongues that Jan Svankmajer uses in his stop-motion animated films.

Nic

Damn! Incredible shots Phil! Didn't miss anything eh?:sad2:

What's the purple crustacean? Superb Tritonia festiva collection, super crisp Cowrie, nice stealth capture of a Zebra and and and and and....:bonk:

Podocerus cristatus. They mimic nearby nudibranchs. I didn't even see it underwater. I was trying to get a shot of the banded shrimp. I haven't labelled it yet.
AMPHIPOD: PREDATORS & DEFENSES: MIMICRY

Phil, you give me something to aspire to in my photography. When I start feeling a wee bit cocky, like I'm actually getting pretty good at this, I check out your photos and remember how far I have to go. It's definitely inspiring! :)

Another group of amazing pics....I went for dive this morning at deadmans reef and made a new dive buddy. He told me to tell u hi because hes not on scubaboard. His name to u would be Pinnacle Ted. Great Guy.
3-5 vis so not great dive. We found a nudi that was white with orange spots....like a clown do you know what it is?......

Last edited:
Hi Ted Sharshan! Ted has almost as many Marineland dives as I do. You nudi was likely Triopha catalinae.
1024.jpg

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2012 at 04:23 PM ---------
-

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and id....Ted (40yrs diving) was a hoot and informative...I'm going to ask him to dive marineland and show me around....and show me Teds Pinnacle...

Phil, you give me something to aspire to in my photography. When I start feeling a wee bit cocky, like I'm actually getting pretty good at this, I check out your photos and remember how far I have to go. It's definitely inspiring! :)

I know how you feel. I dive with Kevin Lee. He makes me look like a noob.
Kevin Lee's Photos | SmugMug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom