Learning sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are going to start training to do more tech diving. What I was wondering is should we start off with back mount and then if we feel we want to do sidemount switch or just go right into sidemount.

Why I am asking is my wife thinks that she would like sidemount and as we are going to be reconfiguing our gear now for tech she may as well as get sidemount gear if that is what she is going to dive.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Discuss it with the instructor you're planning to do your tech training with? (There are lots of variables involved, but I think on the whole, life is simpler in backmount, especially for boat entries.)

What do you hope to get from using sidemount?
Not having to walk with doubles? Ability to squeeze through tight bedding planes? Look cool?
I've been diving sidemount for a while. For tight caves it's perfect. Most other diving it's a PITA.

I have been checking out the sidemount and it seems to me that it would be less a PITA than backmount doubles(of course no first hand experience with either) as well it seems to me you can switch between single or double tank with out having to change your gear much if at all. As well as from what I have seent getting into tighter spaces if the need should arise, not to mention with our rocky coast up here the entry/exit to some of our favorite shore dives would be less hazardous when the tides are lower. I can see it being easier entering the water on a smaller boat. Anyhow, we are just getting ready to move into the "technical world" of diving and do not want to end up changing gear unless absolutely needed again.

We are starting by taking cavern and intro to cave in November, this will one give us an introduction to the world of cave diving. We love wreck diving and hope to take more advance wreck courses and not just swim on the outside of every wreck.

Thanks for the responses

If possible, I'd try both configurations. I did 4 dives on back mounted manifolded doubles and then did a PADI sidemount class and PADI Tec 40 class in sidemount configuration that included boat entries. Between the two I've decided on sidemount for PADI Tec 45 and beyond.

I have been checking out the sidemount and it seems to me that it would be less a PITA than backmount doubles(of course no first hand experience with either) as well it seems to me you can switch between single or double tank with out having to change your gear much if at all. As well as from what I have seent getting into tighter spaces if the need should arise, not to mention with our rocky coast up here the entry/exit to some of our favorite shore dives would be less hazardous when the tides are lower. I can see it being easier entering the water on a smaller boat. Anyhow, we are just getting ready to move into the "technical world" of diving and do not want to end up changing gear unless absolutely needed again.

We are starting by taking cavern and intro to cave in November, this will one give us an introduction to the world of cave diving. We love wreck diving and hope to take more advance wreck courses and not just swim on the outside of every wreck.

Thanks for the responses

If you already have your courses scheduled then you should first talk to your instructor. Not all instructors are allowed, or should, teach classes to students in sidemount. They need to have significant experience in diving sidemount and some agencies even require they be sidemount instructors.

As for your original question, you should try both before you spend any money on gear. I offer a course for students to come in and try both backmounted doubles and sidemounted cylinders as well as introducing them to some basic technical diving skills. I provide all the gear and cylinders. There should be other instructors out there who do the same. Just ask around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom