Underwater photo class with Bluewater Photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leejnd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Yesterday I went out on the Pacific Star to Catalina on a Bluewater Photo charter. This was the second half of my underwater photography class with Scott Geitler, owner of Bluewater Photo. I did the three-hour classroom part a few weeks ago, and now I (and three other students) were to try out what we learned in the water, with Scott diving with us and helping with finding subjects, composing our shots, and lighting techniques. I recently purchased a new camera rig – an Olympus E-PM1 mirrorless camera in the Olympus housing – and I took this class in the hopes that I will learn to actually take some decent shots with it.

While it was overcast for most of the day, and the water is still a shiver-inducing 57 degrees, it was a GREAT day diving! The vis was surprisingly good – there were moments when it had to be a good 50 ft. Yay!

Our first site was Emerald Bay. We were all using wide-angle lens, mine a Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm/ 3.5 lens. Our assignment was to get a shot with something interesting lit up in the foreground and a diver or something else interesting in the background. I found a sea star on a rock, and a garibaldi just happened to swim by as I was lining it up. A moment later Scott was kind enough to pose for me in the background. I’m not real thrilled with the lighting on this, but I gave it the old college try, and I will keep trying to perfect the placement of my strobes. This lens is SO wide-angle that you have to pull the strobes far behind the camera.

P4210213.jpg

P4210217.jpg

The second dive was supposed to be done with a macro lens, but unfortunately I was unable to use the one I JUST bought! You have to install a special fisheye port for the housing when using the fisheye lens, and switch to the original port for the macro lens…but we couldn’t get the fisheye port off the housing. I’m going to have to send it in to be serviced. But I did my best to find decent macro subjects, and shot them anyway. Here’s what I managed to do…just remember these were taken with a huge fisheye lens, and are severely cropped. I’m pretty pleased with this camera’s performance. Imagine how great they’d come out with a macro lens!

P4210275.jpg

P4210282.jpg

P4210263.jpg

P4210299.jpg

During our safety stop, I noticed that the water seemed weirdly cloudy. It took me a few moments to realize what it was – a bloom of bazillions of teensy little jellies no bigger than the tip of my thumb! Perfectly formed little buggers too. I’ve never seen anything like it. I was transfixed!

On the third dive we were back to using wide-angle, and we happened to spot a family of horn sharks.

P4210339.jpg

P4210342.jpg

All in all it was a great day. I had a chance to put what I learned in the classroom to use in the water, with Scott there to help me. Clearly I need a lot more practice, but that just means…lots more diving!

It was my first time on the Pacific Star, and I’m very pleased with that boat. I boarded the night before and since only a couple others were spending the night I nabbed one of the private bunkrooms at the bow, which is the first time I had true privacy on a local dive boat. The service was great – the crew would actually serve us our meals in our seats, rather than buffet style. The swim step was a bit of a challenge for me – there’s no actual ladder, it’s like a floating metal platform with horizontal bars that you have to pull down to get your knees up on it, and then claw your way onto the stern. This was probably harder for me than most because of the back surgery I had last year, but everyone else seemed to do okay with it. The deckhands were always right there to help me up, so I can’t complain.

Scott did a great job in this class, both on land and in the water. I was a complete noob when it comes to photography – I’ve never had an interest in photography on land, but something about being underwater just makes me want to bring the memories of the amazing things I see back with me to share. I learned more in cameras, settings, lighting, and composition in my few hours with Scott than I had picked up on my own in 6 years of diving.

Thanks Scott for a great day, and for all the excellent education!

Thanks for sharing. What settings did you use on your camera and strobe for the wide angle and "macro" photos. I was reading an article in one of my dive magazines that said to use F8 and 1/250. Strobes set to 1/2 power and then adjust at depth for correct exposure.

I used F8 and 1/160, 200 ISO for all shots. (Remember, even the close-ups were done with my wide-angle lens since I was unable to get the fisheye port off in order to use my macro lens.) My camera only goes up to 1/160 and no higher - not really sure why, I'll have to ask Scott about that.

I have two Sea & Sea YS-01 strobes which have TTL, but Scott told me that the TTL really doesn't work very well with that super-wide fisheye lens so I was controlling them manually for every shot so I have no idea where they were set for any specific pic...I was taking lots of shots and turning them up or down depending on how each shot looked.

What was the reasoning for an ISO of 200? In the article I read it suggested ISO 80. I am new to manual settings.
I have a YS-01 and a YS-02. I bought the YS-01 because of the TTL. Then I read that it is better to manually set your strobes, so I bought the YS-02. It is the same strobe without the TTL. I haven't got to use the YS-02 yet. Hopefully this weekend I will be at Santa Rosa or San Miguel with TruthAquatics.
Thanks

My camera doesn't go down below ISO 200 in manual mode. Again, not sure why - I'm a noob at all this! I'll ask Scott.

Great pictures, but where are the shots of the tiny jellies?? With your wide-angle lens, you could have taken pictures of them with divers in the background and the jellies would have looked huge by comparison :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom