SPG hose length??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaERDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I just got my HOG black SPG from Jim Lapenta (Thanks Jim!) and it is a beauty!

...however the 24 inch Edge flex hose seems a little short to me. I haven't had the opportunity to mount it on my Apeks DST and tank, and clip it to my Zeagle Express Tech yet. However on a dry run, I looks like it will be on tension on my hip.

It seems that most discussions about the "standard 24 inch" SPG hose comes from DIR boards, where the doctrine is that the correct way to look at your gauge is to unclip, flip it over your elbow which takes it over your shoulder and hold it in front of you. It seems that this is advantageous when using a light in a cave (so not to confuse your buddy) and otherwise having the 24 inch so tight across you minimizes danglies. However, I am not close to tech yet but in the course of a couple years want to try those waters.

For standard OW diving with a single tank, it may be easier just to pull forward on the SPG and look at it on your hip

What do you think is the optimal SPG hose length for me? 5'7" 155 lbs with slightly bulky chests and shoulders. on a Zeagle Express tech

Due to the recall on the Miflex hoses, I measured the one I was using and it is a 30" length. It is a bit too long, but I think 24" would be a bit too short.

I use a 26" (with an actual measurement of 25") SPG hose that works very well for me clipped to my left hip D-ring. The HP ports on my 1st stage are angle down about 45* which does help with routing.

You can see the hose here,looking at this frame (from a trip to Curacao last year) I could easily go with the "standard" 24" hose.

Edit - for comparison purposes I'm 5' 10"

Attachments

• hose.jpg
    hose.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 1,500
If the SPG is your primary pressure indicator you need to be able to comfortably view it without unclipping it from the D ring. Since you already have the 24 inch hose I would just use that for now and see how it works.

I wouldnt say that you should be able to read it without unclipping it. It has a bolt snap for a reason. Id rather have the hose a bit short and keep it snug to my body then to have it longer and bow out at all. Just my opinion.

A 24" HP hose is probably more suitable for doubles with the diver not too tall (large). With a single tank I prefer a 28" hose with a normal BP 1st and a long hose primary. The 30" works better with a short hose primary and a Mk7 where the hose starts out perpendicular to my long axis.

So I just got my HOG black SPG from Jim Lapenta (Thanks Jim!) and it is a beauty!

...however the 24 inch Edge flex hose seems a little short to me. I haven't had the opportunity to mount it on my Apeks DST and tank, and clip it to my Zeagle Express Tech yet. However on a dry run, I looks like it will be on tension on my hip.

It seems that most discussions about the "standard 24 inch" SPG hose comes from DIR boards, where the doctrine is that the correct way to look at your gauge is to unclip, flip it over your elbow which takes it over your shoulder and hold it in front of you. It seems that this is advantageous when using a light in a cave (so not to confuse your buddy) and otherwise having the 24 inch so tight across you minimizes danglies. However, I am not close to tech yet but in the course of a couple years want to try those waters.

For standard OW diving with a single tank, it may be easier just to pull forward on the SPG and look at it on your hip

What do you think is the optimal SPG hose length for me? 5'7" 155 lbs with slightly bulky chests and shoulders. on a Zeagle Express tech

Don't flip it over your shoulder, that's silly. I don't know where that idea came from, but there isn't much point in doing that, and its not a DIR thing. Just unclip it, look at it, and put it back. Even with a bunch of stages its easy, and if you have any thoughts whatsoever of doing more complex diving in the future, learning how to clip and unclip it now will save you headaches down the line.

Generally, you should work on knowing your pressure without even looking at the gauge. The gauge should confirm what you already know (within a few hundred psi, of course). Its a worthwhile game to play.

24inch works quite well as it minimizes the bow effect that the longer hoses get when clipped off just about anywhere. I find it to be fine in all environments, and it would probably work well for you, too.

I use a 24" hose and clip to my left hip D-ring. With a single tank and no deco bottle, I can read it without unclipping it. With doubles or an extra bottle, I usually have to unclip it. I don't flip it over my shoulder, though.

+1 on the "knowing your pressure without looking at the gauge" game.

Personally I run mine under my left arm and clip it to my chest d-ring.

this. I just glance down and it is right on front of me.

Sent from my DROID X2

Back
Top Bottom