Need Phoronid Specimens for Research Study

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

santagata

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a biologist at Long Island University interested in phoronid specimens from the subtidal habitats in the southern California. Phoronids look roughly like worms, but can be distinguished by their U-shaped ring (sometimes in whorls) of tentacles. You may have seen Phoronopsis californica befores since it is fairly wide-spread around Catalina and San Diego (see attached picture). I would be interested in any phoronid specimens, either live or preserved in ethanol. There are several different species found in southern California so I would appreciate seeing any photos you may have taken. If you are interested please email me for more details.

Thanks,
Scott Santagata

Attachments

• californica1.jpg
    californica1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 82
Collection of phoronids in California waters most likely requires a collecting permit issued by the State. Of course they are quite abundant in our waters around Catalina.

Sure, I understand. I already have a few Phoronopsis californica specimens (feeding tentacles are arranged in a orange spiraled lophophore) from southern california, although not from Catalina. Actually I am more interested in other species not from Catalina. If you ever see other types besides Ph. californica let me know the site, I can get permits.

Thanks,
Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom