Current San Diego Dive Op Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

t-mac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It looks like I need to make a business trip to San Diego at the end of next week and I may have some down time to do one or two boat trips. I've never been diving there and am looking for suggestions on dive operators and also suggestions as to what to see considering my time limitations. Wreck Alley and the Yukon seem popular. Other ideas. Thanks.

The most-visited boat sites in the area are the Yukon, the Ruby E, and the kelp sites. All are worth doing. I can heartily recommend Marissa Dive Charters for all of these.

Waterhorse has recently resumed travel to the Coronados Islands. I believe they go every other Friday. The price has gone up to ~$160 due to Mexico's new requirement of a tourist visa to enter the waters. This used to be a very fun trip, but I don't know how much hassle it is now that the new rules are in place.

If you're bringing your gear, shore diving at La Jolla Shores (especially at night--lots of octopus) or La Jolla Cove can be a lot of fun. We've been having visibility issues lately, but hopefully it clears up by next week. Power Scuba does a weekly night dive at LJS on Thursdays.

Thanks, asha. I need to keep it pretty simple and flexible, so Coronados is probably too ambitious. I'll check out these ops.

I have always enjoyed the half-day trip on the Lois Ann. They do the Yukon, the Rudy E and/or teh kelp off Point Loma for a reasonable price. Bring you dry suit, the watter off San Diego is actually pretty cold.

Back
Top Bottom