Travel with scooters from Europe to USA.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GROBIOG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on best/most secure way to bring 2 scooters from Europe, suggestions on shipping is also welcomed.
I have someone coming from Europe this weekend and could bring me the 2 scooters if we feel that can be done without damages, so basically ideas on best way to pack it is what we are looking for.
Those of you that have done travel with scooters and can tell us what to do and what not to do is also great inputs

Thanks a lot.

Lol. When I first saw your title, I thought wtf? Transatlantic crossing using scooters?!?!

Fedex or DHL will be the most reliable and easiest to deal with Paperwork. I use Brown to Canada and back, but not to Europe/UK. What are they, SUEX's? Easiest way I have found is to pack them in foam and put them in the crates from home depot, the black ones with the yellow lid that looks like an Inspiration/Evolution box. I am assuming that they are stying here, otherwise it isn't worth the hassle or potential customs BS.

Lol. When I first saw your title, I thought wtf? Transatlantic crossing using scooters?!?!

haha. me too :)

lol, yeah, I can see that now, sorry.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2012 at 07:19 PM ----------

Fedex or DHL will be the most reliable and easiest to deal with Paperwork. I use Brown to Canada and back, but not to Europe/UK. What are they, SUEX's? Easiest way I have found is to pack them in foam and put them in the crates from home depot, the black ones with the yellow lid that looks like an Inspiration/Evolution box. I am assuming that they are stying here, otherwise it isn't worth the hassle or potential customs BS.

I've contacted DHL, was quoted on about $2800.00 :shocked2:, They are Suex's.
Not sure what the crates are, I will look online.
They are staying here, what hassle and customs BS am I getting into to? what is best way to go about it?
Thanks.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2012 at 09:01 PM ----------

I've read lead acid battery may be a problem?

lol, yeah, I can see that now, sorry.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2012 at 07:19 PM ----------

I've contacted DHL, was quoted on about $2800.00 :shocked2:, They are Suex's.
Not sure what the crates are, I will look online.
They are staying here, what hassle and customs BS am I getting into to? what is best way to go about it?
Thanks.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2012 at 09:01 PM ----------

I've read lead acid battery may be a problem?

$2800?!?! They are quoting you the sucker rate.

If they are lead acid, consider leaving the batteries in Europe. Cost more to ship than replace and you get new batteries in the process. Best bet is to check them on the airline and just pay the excess baggage fees if someone is flying already. Otherwise, contact a local logistics/shipping company that gets better rates and let them handle it. Shouldn't cost much more than $500-$600.

Cheers,
Jon

What Jon said. Bring them as excess baggage on the fight. Then there is no customs or BS, they are just someone's personal dive equipment. I can't imagine you can't get replacement batteries here, which will cut the weight (and therefore the shipping costs) in half.

Remember, they are SUEX's. Parts will have to come from Europe. Not impossible, just logistically undesirable.

Yeah, I have someone who can bring it to me, with the batteries is $140 for both as extra baggage, fine with me.
My main concern is ensuring it gets here unharmed.

US customs will definitely inspect them, specifically the batteries.

Back
Top Bottom