Suunto Mosquito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a Suunto mosquito that's about 10 years old. It hasn't been on a dive since 2005.

Should I just throw a battery in it and see if it floods? Should I get it serviced? Or should I just go buy a new computer?

Buy a new computer, I have had several Suuntos' (still do) and I think they are almost the best on the market, but the Mosquito was pretty crappy

Assuming everyone says ditch it, I would appreciate opinions on what to replace it with. I'm pinching pennies a little so nothing outrageous. Needs Nitrox and Air Integrated would be cool if it's really worth it. I never had it before and did SAC calculations by hand after the dive.

About all you can do is try with a new battery and see what happens; they don't make them anymore nor do they have parts for full service support. . .

I have a D3 bottom timer (which is a Mosquito without the computer) with sticky/corroded button action, but the depth sensor and general operation still functions okay.

I picked up some silicon grease to lube the existing o-ring and a battery from CVS and installed it. It powered on right away. I'm not sure what's more impressive, that it remembered my dives from 2000 - 2005 or that I rememebed how to program it!

The buttons were sticky the first couple of clicks but they move freely now. I placed it in a glass of water and it activated with the AC symbol. 15 minutes in the glass and it doesn't seem to be taking any water on.

I guess the next test is to take it to the bottom of the pool and see if it registers a shallow free dive.

---------- Post added April 26th, 2012 at 06:34 AM ----------

Does anyone know what the o-ring type is for the mosquito? I dont know o-ring terminology to know how to describe it.

The "kits" on eBay are getting hard to find and I'm concerned that the kit might have an o-ring as old as my existing one.

Took it down to a whole 5' last night! Seems to be ok! Here's hoping... :)

I am going to say keep it and do exactly as what you are doing to bring it back to working order. As for the o-ring you can call Suunto and get the specs and then buy it from a third party supplier. If after you do everything it craps out I did see that Suunto has a trade in program for a bit off a new computer. They will take it even if it is dead.

A little late to the party but I certainly wouldn't be throwing it out. Change battery and O ring first you have nothing to lose. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom