Forget everything I ever said about the barge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I officially apologize for every negative comment I have ever made about the barge in the Redondo Beach Artificial Reef. The past couple of weeks have been filled with new discoveries and exciting dives. Before I bought a 90mm lens I used to think of the barge as a home to sea lions and simnias and not much else. Now I'm spending all of my time there looking a lot closer than before.
Today I found my first Doto kya, another tiny nudibranch to add to my collection. As with Sunday, the visibility cleared up dramatically after we surfaced. We didn't have another tank to go back down, but we could see the water change from milky green to dark blue in less than one hour.

RedondoBarge12-2.jpg

Doto kya with my fingertip for scale

RedondoBarge7-3.jpg

RedondoBarge9-2.jpg

RedondoBarge8-3.jpg

RedondoBarge10-3.jpg

RedondoBarge4-1.jpg

RedondoBarge5-3.jpg

RedondoBarge6-3.jpg

RedondoBarge2-2.jpg

RedondoBarge3-3.jpg

RedondoBarge1-3.jpg

I cant understand how you could find something that small (Doto kya)....Amazing finds and pics again....

Amazing.

I don't know how ANYONE finds nudis that small and recognizes them for what they are. We have a local diver who goes by Dusty2,, who finds things that, even when he points them out to me, and even when I use my bifocals, I'm not sure are anything other than silt -- until I see Dusty's pictures. Kudos to all of you with the fabulous cameras and photographic skills to bring good images of these tiny things to us to marvel at.

That Doto is insanely tiny! Excellent find! Really dig the Skeleton Shrimp riding the back of the Simnia shot. Another great series!

That Doto is insanely tiny! Excellent find!
RedondoBarge37.jpg

The Cuthona albocrusta from the other day is the size of one cerata from the Doto kya! I wish I would have taken a wider shot of it. I handed the five inch piece of rust to Kevin. There was a white dot in the center, the little nudi. When I saw the Doto I saw rhinophores and knew it was a nudibranch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom