San Diego, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am planning a trip to San Diego, California. I need some help deciding what kind of suit I should wear. I was thinking about using a 7mm wet suit. Would that be thick enough for me to wear? I will be going at the begining of June. Also I need some good brands of masks to look for. I want to start buying my own gear so I do not have to rent each time. This will be my first time scuba diving in the Ocean. I mostly do local Hot Spots. I am assuming I need to also purchase a hood and gloves when I go too.

Any input will help!

You'll get varying answers about the 7 mil because everyone is different with cold. Safest way would be to rent a 7 mil once for a dive, see how long your bottom time is and how cold you get and go from there. Same with hood & gloves.

Most dive shops should have everything you need in terms of thermal protection available to rent. You may want to call ahead just to confirm.

I routinely dive Ca waters. If you are diving wetsuit then 7mm with hood, gloves, and booties. For deeper dives off San Diego like on the Yukon in wreck alley I also use a 3mm vest underneath. For most dives not warm and toasty but not uncomfortably cold. Most dives are quite comfortable and I only feel slight chill if third dive in fairly cold temps. My coldest temp is about 52 degrees and warmest in Ca about 58, decide for yourself what thickness you choose based on those temps.

For dive hood I strongly recommend XS Scuba pyrostretch 5/3 which is what I dive. It it very stretchy, not too expensive, and very comfortable. I used to have 3mm gloves but find my new 4 mm good trade between flexibility and warmth.

I dive Atomic subframe. My daughter dives Cressi Eyes. Most important on a mask is fit, not brand.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2012 at 09:42 PM ----------

Also, the two dive boats I've been on in San Diego are Marissa dive charter and Waterhorse charter. Both were very good but I prefer Waterhorse because they have a bigger boat and provide steel tanks as standard.

Last edited:
I use a 7mm rear zip suit with 5mm hooded vest, 5mm boots and 3 mm gloves. It's adequate for most dives in this area especially for shore diving. Fit for the suit and mask is most important to be comfortable and enjoy diving.

Let me know if you need a buddy while here. Always looking to for excuses to dive. :)

BTW, 7mm, hood, gloves are standard fare around here when not diving dry. Like others have said, unless you already have one, just rent the wetsuit (and everything else) here unless you're going to be using the same type of wetsuit regularly. Mask...yes, buy that. As said, fit is more important than anything else (as long as it's a known brand).

Have fun.

I'm traveling to visit my sister there and she does not dive. I was trying to find a resort that would let me go with them without having to have a reservation at a hotel with them. But I do not know of any or anything. Like I said this is my first time diving in the Ocean so I'm not sure what I need to do to plan on going on a dive.

You should get your own mask before you get there and use it a couple of time to make sure it works for you. The first two I have used and the do a good job the last one I haven't but have heard some good stuff about them.
San Diego Scuba Diving,San Diego Dive Boats,Lois Ann Dive Charters Home Page,San Diego California,san diego scuba diving boats,san diego boat dives,san diego scuba diving,san diego scuba diving charters,scuba diving san diego california

San Diego Scuba Diving,San Diego Dive Boats,Dive Charters Home Page,San Diego California,san diego scuba diving boats,san diego boat dives,san diego scuba diving,san diego scuba diving charters,scuba diving san diego california

San Diego SCUBA Diving, Charter Boat Dives. Dive Trips

Don't know why it change the link info but it still lead you to the sites.
IF you have not been in a 7mm suit before try one in the pool first to get your weighting

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom