Suunto D9xt. Good / Bad in regards to Technical Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shurup

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've got a D9, been using it for a few years now, very happy with it but Sunnto announced a new, updated model of D9. I'm not one of those folks who tries to catch every latest piece of tech and I wouldn't even bother considering it but I'm planning to go Tech sometime next year. Maybe not initially but sooner or later I will need to get my tech gear and a proper diving computer is just one things I will need.

I know a bit about Tech Diving but definetely not enough so I'm asking.
Is it any good for tech diving or one would be better off getting a standalone unit?
It's nice to have everything in one device, but as many things in life, it may become too cramped with features and unable to perform in every particular case as good as a standalone device. Can D9xt properly manage all the cylinders and gasses a tech diver is taking with them on a dive? I hope it makes sense what I'm asking. :confused:

Either way, it's too early to worry about right now, I'm not going to do a computer swap right away and I'm definetely open to options and suggestions.

I would discuss it with your tech instructor. Personally, I wouldn't. Chances are, you're going to start out with tables and a bottom timer anyway.

(IMHO, that's a crazy amount of money to pay for a computer lacking an OLED display, and running a proprietary algorithm.)

Last edited:
Yeah, I would not use a wireless transmitter on tech.

You can do GUE fundies and tech 1 for the price of that computer, probably even primer. And don't need a computer :nope:

I am a HUGE fan of the Sunnto products and have a D9, Helo2 and Zoop. I have used the D9 on deep air deco dives and the Helo2 on even deeper trimix deco dives. They are very good computers and will do what you require, however they are very very conservative and will keep you in the water for very very long times. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the conservative route, but as you go deeper and longer you will realize that it is "impossible" to take enough gas with to fulfill the computers deco obligations. If you decide to go deeper than 60 meters I would seriously look at something else. I invested in a Shearwater Predator and use my Helo2 in gauge mode.

I would also suggest like others to stay well clear of transmitters in any shape, size or form when engaging in any technical diving activity.

Back
Top Bottom