Oceanic/Hollis/Aeris Computer Selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victorzamora

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys

I work at an LDS that sells AUP gear, so I can get pretty awesome discounts on gear from Oceanic/Aeris/Hollis....which is the main reason I want to stick to those 3 companies. If there's just an absolutely drop-dead, hands-down, flat-out computer that's better in every way for next to no cash I'd be willing to step away from those three brands. However, since that's a fairy tale computer and I need a real one, what do y'all think?

I am looking to get in to technical diving, but understand that that means Hollis DG05/Shearwater Predator or another $1k computer and am not really looking for that quite yet. I have a Tag that means a lot to me, so my dive computer isn't going to replace my watch (like the Geo 2.0 does for many divers) except for maybe on vacation. Either way, that's not a selling point for me. Number of gas mixes isn't a huge deal either. However, I want Nitrox is a bare minimum, up to 100% O2 is a plus. I'm thinking about AI, not sure what to do...but I KNOW I want a USB cable for it as I'm already sick of logging dives and want a more accurate way of tracking my history. I talked to one of the LDS owners (who dives SUUNTO) and he tried talking me into the VT4. I know I want wrist-mount. Did I miss anything?

I dive a oceanic vt3 absolutely love it has so many functions but simple to use once you get the hang of it I had one problem where it went into gauge mode on my last dive of the weekend but other than that I have 70 dives on it and has done me well and I love being able to log my dives on the pc but i still keep a written account as its nice to have, having said that it's my first computer so don't know any different but am a gadget head and love it. It's really a personal choice!

+1 on the VT3. I have a VT3 and an older VT Pro. Both have worked flawlessly for dozens of dives. I really like AI computers for Rec dives - it is just very convenient to be able to check your air by glancing at your wrist. For Tec dives, I use the VT Pro in gauge mode as a backup bottom timer.

The Oceanic PC software keeps a decent dive log, and has all the features you really need to track gear, conditions, and locations of dives.

Since you get awesome pricing, get the VT4. It has a better screen, better nav through screens (forwards and backwards). You also can have it track 4 gases and even set gases regardless of other gases. On the vt3 gas one had to be the lowest %, so if you had gas one set to 28% and your slung 40cf has 21%, you could not set it as gas two or three.

Also having the wireless transmitter is very convenient and software will keep track of everything. It also has guage mode when your ready to step up to the shearwater for timix or sooner.

The only thing I wish it had was the ability to set the smartglo to always on either during a dive or say after a certain depth like 60 ft.

Note: Even though I use the wireless transmitter, I still have the standard spg on a 24 inch hose clipped off to my left dring. I only had the transmitter fail on two dives where the signal was interupted and having the spg saved the dive. Also having the spg on my left post and the transmitter on the right, I will know how much gas I have in the event I have to shutdown a post and end the dive with doubles.

Thanks for the responses so far. Aftershock, I'm a bit of a gadget-head myself...so thanks for your input. Indy, I'm glad you also like AI. I know a lot of people hate it due to "too many batteries"...but I love it just because it's SOO cool. As an Engineer, I love the incredible potential that any AI pdc has....and love the coolness of a wireless one :D. Alberto, thanks for the heads up...I might have to look for some codes and play with them.

ddmattos, thanks for the heads up on the limits. I have never been multi-tank diving, so I don't have much fear of limitations like that. Also, if I get a wireless transmitter (more like "when", really)...I will still have my SPG clipped off on my left shoulder d-ring. Do you think the VT4 is that much better than the OCS or the Hollis DG03(for about the same price)? Also, for the price difference, should I just save up for the Hollis DG05?

Also, maybe it would be cheaper/better to just get the Hollis DG02 for next to nothing. I'd lose some bells-and-whistles, but still get a solid computer at the basics. Then I'd feel less bad about getting a nicer computer later and donating this to the fiancee.

Last edited:
Technology evolves quickly...as technology get better, pricing usually lower. Technology is one of the areas that procrastination/hesitation rewards the buyer.

When do you see yourself going tech? Are you currently diving BP/W?
Do you think the VT4 is that much better than the OCS or the Hollis DG03(for about the same price)? Also, for the price difference, should I just save up for the Hollis DG05?
Like I said the VT4 is better than the VT3 while the OCS is a watch size computer. The OCS is nice but it's apples and oranges based on size. I haven't seen the DG05 up close but the screen tech (OLED) is the same as my Shearwater, which is awesome. I have a friend that wants to get a shearwater because he is tired of hitting the light button on his Oceanic computer. He doesn't know it, but he is slowly drifting to the dark side.

A DG02 and DG05 will get you all the way through trimix. But since Trimix should be a couple of years away, who knows what computer we will have then. So think about getting VT4 (firmware upgradable) and DG02 (gauge mode) which should get you through advnaced nitrox with deco procedures. Then as long as your fiancee is still doing single gas dives you can donate the DG02 when you upgrade.

From the start (OW Cert), my instructor set me on the right path. I bought a VT-3 with transmitter, wrist mounted compass (now included in the VT4), a Hollis SS plate with solo harness, STA with removable 6lbs weight insert, S-38 wing. I could have went with the S-25, but I wanted to make sure it would float my gear for the small boats. I later bought the C-60 wing for doubles. If you buy correctly, you will accumulate the needed items for tech over time. I also slung a 40cf luxfer stage bottle for my alternate air source when diving single tank early. It so comfortable with proper trim, I forget its clipped off on my left side.

I mention the above because a lot of people get sticker shock when they look into tech because the items needed and worse case changing everything they are accustomed too. I dive the same setup anywhere in the world with minor config changes, my base always stays the same.

Send me PM for more detail/photos if interested on my gear config.

Sorry for the long post.

If Tec Diving is not an immediate thing and you want a new computer then save your money and go with the VEO 3.0. Great Price Point can do entry level Tec and you can get the Bungee Mount. If you want something a little more fancy then you have the OCS which is a watch style, has dot matrix display, and can do entery level tec. Either way, i know its cool, but you don't need the AI. In the end, it's up to you.

Last edited:
I am with Wayne. If tech isn't in your immediate future, but definitely in plan, skip the transmitter. Get a wrist mounted computer that support recreation nitrox and has a guage mode. They are not expansive and later, they can become your backup gauge. Not sure if Oceanic/Hollis/Aeris have any offers that can display second in dive time at least in gauge mode, if they do, get one with that feature.

With the exception of the DG05 none of the aup computer are tech computer. So you should look for a different computer or go with a bottom timer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom