Suitable Dive Computer for DM trainee.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

allens12

New
Reaction score
Hi there.

I currently have no diving experience at all. I have just been offered a divemaster internship and have been instructed to purchase, among other things, a good quality dive computer.

I took a trip down to the local dive shop and they were very helpful and pointed me in the direction of the Suunto range, from the Zoop, Vyper, d4i and d6i.

I want to stay away from the bigger more bulky computers mainly because i'll be wearing it all day.

I don't really know what sort of features I'll need for dm level. I would also have the opportunity to progress to instructor and further, and am trying to weigh up the benefits of purchasing something more expensive now in case i need/want to use a feature in the future; or purchase something now and then if i need something better later, to get it then.

I'm thinking adout the d4i, or if you could provide similarly priced models worth mentioning for consideration please do. Will i need something with more capabilities than the d4i? In particular, something with gauge mode?

Can anyone help me out a bit? Having no diving experience at all, I'm completely unfamiliar with the course and gear requirements (although I have read in many places that a dive computer is not always necessary and many prefer to dive without one, it is a requirement of the dive centre that I purchase one).

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

WHat dive center is making you buy a computer before you have even hit the water? This is nuts. How will they even know if you can dive. And why would you accept an internship without any experience? If they are offering you this internship what are they providing and how much are they willing to pay you? And just how much is this internship costing you? I suggest you look up the options available to DM's after going thru one of these programs. More often known as Zero to Hero and finding out that they are extremely limited.

The only thing you should be doing now is, first of all, finding out if you even like diving. And if you can dive. And if you feel any desire to teach. Where are you located? Find an instructor to do an intro to scuba to see if it is something you want to do. I would not even advise you to buy a mask yet. Telling you to go buy a computer before you have even started is disgusting to me. It smacks of a pattern that will result in you spending money that you do not need to and taking advantage of someone.

Look up indentured servitude and see how it compares to this "internship". Which really it is not. Other industries don't make you pay to be an intern. Intern as used for stuff like this is a lie. It's a course you pay for in cash and sweat. If we get an intern at my regular job we provide them with the tools they need while they are there. And instruction in the use of them. But we do not make them pay to be there. Interns don't pay to learn. While they may not collect a paycheck they also do not feed our coffers with the money they do have.

Gotta agree with Jim's perceptions of the 'zero-to-hero' DM program. IMHO, no ethical company would demand such commitment (especially financial) from a customer who had zero diving experience, or clue whether they'll enjoy the activity (especially as a divemaster) or not.

With respect to computers... you don't need much functionality beyond what virtually any computer on the market will provide you with.

You need to know your depth, your dive time and your no-decompression limit (you'll find out what this is somewhere along the track to your professional credentials). It'll need to provide you with an ascent rate and a no-fly time. You'll probably want nitrox capacity up to 40% (hopefully you'll find out what this means before you qualify as a DM). You'll probably also want some form of illumination/back-light for night diving. You may very well need various depth, time and ascent alarm functions.

Separate analogue compass is generally preferable to an in-built digital one.
You won't need more than 1 gas mix capacity.
You won't need wireless/transmitter capability - but some divers do love their gadgets.
You won't need gauge mode.
You won't need a freedive mode for scuba - but may make use of it if breath-hold is your thing.
You won't need computer (USB) link - but some divers prefer an electronic, rather than paper logbook.

Watch sized units are convenient if you're wearing it day-in, day-out.

The Suunto D4 is a good model and not bad looking. I'd recommend having a look around on Ebay and Craigslist for a second-hand, older generation, edition though - something like the Suunto 'Stinger' or 'Mosquito'. They'll do what you need... and you won't be investing so much money in an unknown endeavor.

IF you have to have something then how about a simple Uwatec bottom timer. All you need for any diving.

IF you have to have something then how about a simple Uwatec bottom timer. All you need for any diving.

Except that it does not meet the requirement for having a computer.

I agree with all those who say you should really think about why you are going into a program like this. I would first find out if I like diving.

Every time I come back to this thread I get more pissed off at the unmitigated gall of that operation. Vultures is the word that keeps coming to mind.

Thank you for your concerns and honesty.

My motivation behind an internship is extremely personal, and is the result of what can only be described as both tragic and extremely malicious events, which took place towards the end of last year that greatly affected me for many months. My uni gave me the option, and advised me to take a year out and so here I am.

I have a great interest in many water sports, as well as qualifications, so diving is not a completely random choice. My flat mate and close friend of mine, a dm, first put me onto the idea of doing such an internship.

For me, it's an opportunity to leave the eu for the first time and explore somewhere completely new, a chance to add a new sport to the many I participate in and above all else, a prime opportunity to blank and recover from extremely disturbing images so that I may resume my studies at a later date with a refreshed mind. I'm in a position where I have a lot of time right now and little to do.. an unhealthy environment, so an internship is ideal. In fact, one which works me to the ground has the potential to be more beneficial to me. Regardless, I will be somewhere new and that is important to me.

The internship itself is largely cost free. The costs I incur are flight tickets (seeing that I want to travel it's not really a cost attributable to diving), dive computer, smb + reel, and dive knife. Everything else is provided and included from equipment, to somewhere to stay (which looks much nicer than any uni accomm I've seen, not particularly hard to beat mind you) and food, as well as all padi fees and materials I'll need to complete the course.

From where I am, given my situation, it's something worth doing. I'm simply trying to turn what has been a devastating year into something positive. Regardless of whether it's a pile of s..t, i have an opportunity to do something new and different. It is obviously not my intention to annoy anyone... Like I said, I'm trying very hard indeed to do something positive.

It's hard to say I'll enjoy something before even doing it, but given my extensive water sport history, general love of being in the water and huge appreciation for wildlife, I think I'll be good; so long as medically speaking I'm fine of course. I do not mean to disregard any advice, and have always had full intention to make sure I have a pool session/some sort of introduction before I spend any money, but chances are I'll be going even if I drown in the pool.

And chances are, they are vultures, but I don't think I care to be honest. I am hoping to gain far more than just diving out of this experience.

Thank you for the advice regarding a dive computer. Free dive mode may well be of interest to me in that case, and I'm also glad to hear that I only need a very basic comp since these things cost a fair bit. I will check out older models on ebay and see how that goes for the time being. Please feel free to leave any advice regarding a dive computer.

Kind regards.

I can just imagine a paying customer's reaction, when you enforce a square profile... unnecessarily short.... dive plan - because you've opted to go with a bottom timer and tables, rather than a dive computer. :rofl3:

I have owned a few different computers as an instructor, watch styles, hose integrated and wrist computers.

The best IMO is a Suunto Zoop or equivalent. I wear a G-Shock watch on my left wrist and the comp on my right. The stopwatch feature of the G-shock comes in handy as an instructor and sometimes as a guide when doing longer safety stops- I typically do 5mins. Many watch style computers have a stopwatch feature but it is inaccessible when the computer changes to 'dive mode'.

I'd look at ebay for a cheap Suunto- currently I have a Gecko which suits me fine for my kind of diving in tropical reefs. If and when you work as a DM or go to instructor you should be able to afford a new computer if you save for a few years :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom