Watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cumbo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been trying to find a nice looking wrist watch, which could be used for diving. Price range would be around $50-$500, but can be more, if I find something especially nice. :)

I'd like the watch to have a metal bracelet and (if possible) a screen which won't get scratched. Self-powered gas lights on the pointers (?) are a plus, too. :)

Some watches, I've found so far (to give you an idea of what I'm looking for):

Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster Carbon
Christopher Ward C6 Kingfisher (not made anymore?)

Any recommendations? Oh, and I did check out Deep Blue watches already. :)

the Citizen line is a pretty good one. One model even has a depth meter (5' increments, if I remember correctly)...

I bought a G-Shock Frogman in 2004 when I was living in Japan. I've replaced the strap once and it's still going strong. I can't fault the G-Shock for the price and durability

I'd recommend the eco-drive. While there is a whole line of Citizen watches that have depth gauges, the eco-drive models have a clear advantage: no batteries. No batteries in a diving watch means no hassle in replacing them, no need to open the watch and mess with the gaskets. I have a Citizen Aqualand from 1991, and that's what I'm living with now. To do maintenance on the gaskets and maintenance on the movement is $250 - more than buying a new watch!

One question on the metal band - I know that at depth, the water compresses suits, etc. Anyone ever have a problem with a metal band versus rubber?

I never had problems diving 7mm wet. Drysuits usually have a thin latex wrist cuff.

Citizen Hyperaqualand is THE Dive Watch. I´ve owned mine for more than 10 years now and put more that 600 dives on it. You can get it for around US$ 300 and comes with a very resistant rubber strap. Today I purchased on ebay the two tone SS original Citizen bracelet for it and I payed US$ 109. So, for about 400 bucks you can get the best dive watch your money can buy. Furthemore, since it´s totally digital, there is no movement to maintain. Only a battery change every couple years.

I've got a Citizen Eco-Drive 300m Pro Diver. It's pretty basic...just gives you the time and has a time-elapsed bezel. It's built like a tank however. The solar-charging capabilities are its best feature...the case need never be opened to change a battery, so its seal is never compromised.
cit-bj8050-08e.jpg

I have the same watch. Big, easy to read, and could be used as a weapon if need be! Kinda like my old konica T3n 35mm SLR with an 80 -200 zoom. Beat the crap out of an assailant and then take their picture for their mug shot with it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom