PDA

View Full Version : NetDoc's Work Bench...

NetDoc
April 29th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I just moved into this house at the end of January so I thought I would show off my workbench in progress.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/5695/medium/WorkBench01.jpg

You can see my 55# anvil on the left, the gauges and reg bench in the center, the gun vise on the right with the ultra sonic cleaner just behind it. To the right of that is a drill press and stationary belt sander and my 6HP compressor (yet to be wired up). The total length is 24' long and 2' wide.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/5695/medium/WorkBench02.jpg

My DIY reg bench. I test and tear down regs right in the same place. I made it out of 3/8" thick brass and the valve is actually "nutted" into place so I could keep the alignment right. I drilled and tapped the bottom of the valve for 1/4" TPT and the hose I am using was actually left behind here at the house. That was cool! :D The front two holes are drilled and tapped to match the HP and LP ports on a reg so I can use a jig to tear apart regs.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/5695/medium/WorkBench03.jpg

Since this picture was taken I have added a large IP gauge. I haven't plumbed it in yet, but that's simple to do.

Wookie
April 29th, 2012, 07:38 AM
It sounds beautimus. But you didn't attach a photo. Wish I could see it.

evad
April 29th, 2012, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=NetDoc;6323895]
You can see my 55# anvil on the left.

You're going to forge a regulator?:shocked2:

dmoore19
April 29th, 2012, 08:40 AM
It's beautiful Netdoc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsaxNehMibg

Wookie
April 29th, 2012, 08:47 AM
It's beautiful Netdoc.

I wanna see it! Wahhhhhh! :(

dmoore19
April 29th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I wanna see it! Wahhhhhh! :(

There there, don't cry. I can't see it either. I was just imagining it.:D

Wookie
April 29th, 2012, 09:16 AM
There there, don't cry. I can't see it either. I was just imagining it.:D

In my mind, it's the finest workbench ever. Except for mine. Mine has a Detroit Diesel injector tester. No anvil, though.....

dmoore19
April 29th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Mine may not be quite as spiffy but it will have at least 2 cressent wrenches.:D

Wookie
April 29th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Mine may not be quite as spiffy but it will have at least 2 cressent wrenches.:D

You need a pair of channel locks, too. That way if you don't mess up the flats with a crescent wrench, you can mangle the brass with the channel lock.

dmoore19
April 29th, 2012, 09:37 AM
You need a pair of channel locks, too. That way if you don't mess up the flats with a crescent wrench, you can mangle the brass with the channel lock.

Vice grips!

ktomlinson
April 29th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I'm subscribing because I would like to see it too! Sounds nice :)

NetDoc
April 29th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Hopefully, you can see it now! :D :D :D

I have a pile of crescent wrenches, channel locks as well as other adjustable wrenches, but I prefer to WIR and Wrench It Right and use the proper sized wrench or socket... unless I am disassembling, in which case I prefer to WIL. :D Patents and trademarks applied for.

BluewaterSail
April 29th, 2012, 10:19 AM
I can see it!!!!!

Very nice!

And cute wetsuit in your avatar!

NetDoc
April 29th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I just got the plumbing for my IP gauge... I'll post some picks of it soon.

JBRES1
April 29th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Looks great.
Only thing I would change is the Pro valve would be mounted on the bench so that it didn't stick out farther than the bench. ( I would back it up about 4" )
I have a problem with bumping into things that hang off of the bench, and those square edges would sure leave a mark.
Jim Breslin

Bob DBF
April 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Nice anvil but I didn't see the massive selection of hammers that should be readily available.

Bob
---------------------------------
Always use the right tool for the job. A hammer is the right tool for any job. Anything can be used as a hammer.

NetDoc
April 29th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Only thing I would change is the Pro valve would be mounted on the bench so that it didn't stick out farther than the bench. ( I would back it up about 4" )
I have a problem with bumping into things that hang off of the bench, and those square edges would sure leave a mark.
Jim Breslin The anvil sticks out over the edge as well. I like it like this. :D
Nice anvil but I didn't see the massive selection of hammers that should be readily available. I have them in their own special drawer about 15 ft away. I am thinking about keeping my brass 2 pounder as well as a small copper one. I seem to use them the most.

Wookie
April 29th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I am thinking about keeping my brass 2 pounder as well as a small copper one. I seem to use them the most.

Keep the brass faced dead blow. You know, the one sold by MAC tools? The one with the green handle that all diesel mechanics have?

HenrikBP
April 29th, 2012, 12:35 PM
NICE shop! Congratulations.

Brewone0to
April 29th, 2012, 01:01 PM
That looks pretty nice Pete.
When I grow up I want one just like your's.

Dsix36
April 29th, 2012, 01:53 PM
WTF, where is the acetylene torch and mig welder?
How can you expect to actually repair regulators without the proper equipment.

Peter_C
April 29th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Nice and clean! I wish my garage looked like yours, as my work benches are covered in crap and I cleaned a little yesterday.

An old school forged anvil has been in my search cue for awhile now, along with a 18"-20" Walker-Turner or Powermatic bandsaw.

NetDoc
April 29th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Keep the brass faced dead blow. You know, the one sold by MAC tools? The one with the green handle that all diesel mechanics have? I have several brass hammers. My favorite has been mine since 1969. It's red brass and a full five pounder. It's softer that the others and has a steel jacket. It was designed for taking off the spinners that held the wheels on British cars back then. I own a few dead blow hammers, but they seem like kid's toys compared to the real things. Most people don't realize this, but I spent 30 years in the automotive field before I became a Network Consultant. I have LOTS of tools. I'm still in the process of organizing so I am embarrassed to show the whole shop. Here are my tool boxes:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/5695/medium/WorkBench04.jpg

Matco main chest with SnapOn side box. Those are specialty diagnostic tools on the top right of the box.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/5695/medium/WorkBench05.jpg

Tool Cart with added tool riser and side box. You can see my Ryobi table saw just behind it. I have another roll around tool chest back there with a miter saw mounted on top.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/5695/medium/WorkBench06.jpg

Wooden tool chests with assorted risers etc.

Drx6x
April 29th, 2012, 04:00 PM
envious of the compressor, but my anvils bigger :P (75#) but then again full machine shop wood shop and forge... funny part is 95% of it is all twice my age (23) but in brand new condition gramps sure did like to build things.

Scott L
April 29th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Shall we commence to send you regulators for servicing?

NetDoc
April 29th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Nope... I set this up so I can teach Hog Reg repair as well as do my own. I did my Atomics yesterday as well as rebuilding a raw water pump for my boat.

couv
April 29th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I like it; and thanks for getting rid of that Santa hat......saved me from writing a PM.

RonFrank
April 29th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Looks like a nice space. I like that compressor!

Scott L
April 29th, 2012, 07:41 PM
How does Elena's vehicle fit into the garage? :D

Bob DBF
April 29th, 2012, 09:03 PM
If a vehicle belonged in a garage it would be broken.

Bob
---------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Peter_C
April 30th, 2012, 12:55 AM
envious of the compressor, but my anvils bigger :P (75#) but then again full machine shop wood shop and forge... funny part is 95% of it is all twice my age (23) but in brand new condition gramps sure did like to build things.
I wish I owned a new school CNC mill, but an older Bridgeport or the like is also on my radar. I want to put a DRO on my 1941 Clausing lathe to bring it up to modern specs. I like old tools and most of my stuff is industrial equipment. Except my woodworking saws are portable, on roller stands for good reason. One thing I learned with a small garage is everything has to be on wheels.

If a vehicle fits in a garage, you don't have enough tools!

Bob
---------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.
Fixed it for you ;)

I worked on my little boat most of the day. It now has a beautiful 3" hole below the waterline, and is completely disassembled. Trailer repair is next. Did manage a TIG sunburn today only welding a 3" tube to plate without a shirt on DOH!

NetDoc
April 30th, 2012, 07:31 AM
It's too wet to work on my boat! Arrrrgh! I want to finish it so I can take it out if the rain ever stops! :D

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1