In-Water Skills on Adv/Tec Sidemount Courses (agency approaches)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I'm nearing the end of writing a blog article on sidemount (11 A4 pages and counting, sans pictures/diagrams).

In the final section, I want to give a comparison of the in-water skills taught by different agencies at rec/basic and tec/adv levels.

Have scoured the interweb, but can't find any resources that give an indication of the course content at tec/adv level for any of the agencies.

Can anyone share what they know on this? (and for rec also, as I'm not sure I've covered every sidemount course providing agency).

Just simple list/s of skills would be suffice, but any further amplification would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I would fire a message off to Steve Lewis AKA doppler......hes got a nice outline on his website on what his SM course covers.

There doesn't seem to be much on sidemounts - i am interested in it - can't seem to find any information other than what I already know about it.

Would love to go through you blog once completed.

I've got my padi tec SM instructor guide, that help?

It certainly would - mine's still in the post (takes forever to ship to the P.I.).

Wow you really get nailed on that. I thought you had already gotten it, or I would have gotten mine back to post here.

Mine is still out and about, since the people who want to take it are borrowing it, because they are all planning on teaching it so we are going to make it a combination student course and how to teach it course, with me picking their brains, and vice versa.

One thing I forgot to check is what size tank is required for the Tech Sidemount. 40's are allowed for the Rec SM, and I still think that these would still work for many Japanese divers even in the Tech Sidemount. (I really envy the tiny Japanese lungs at these times.)

So for me double checking the fact that the long hose is required on the right tank, and whether 40's are allowed are kind of on the top of my list.

Back
Top Bottom