The burn! (Negativity towards tech divers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just come across a bit of negativity towards tech divers and tech diving in general.
Anyone else catching a bit of this attitude out there?
I know not everyone will be your friend but because you dive a certain way?
The world is not as an accepting place as I once thought, :rofl3:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though I have noticed some vibe out there at local watering holes.
I have tried to not enter in to the beating of any level or agency of divers but yet get lumped into the group I look like!
So be it.
This is not a B&M thread just wondered it anyone else having this issue other areas?

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning.

Honestly, it's probably retaliation. :)

I really don't know whether there is any vibe among other divers about us. We're too busy having fun to listen :)

Seriously, I'm not sure how I would know. When I go to a dive site, I'm pretty much about getting my gear ready and running through the plan with whoever I'm diving with. I'm usually pretty happy, because I'm going diving, and I smile and ask people who are getting out of the water how their dive was, and how the viz is running. I've never been snubbled or dissed. (And, if I'm reading your post right, I AM one of the people you "look like" and get lumped in with.)

Never had a negative encounter. A lot of folks are curious and ask about the gear, why I do it, etc. I'm always happy to answer questions up to a point but once gear is readied and boat briefings are done I tend to throw my headphones on and run through the dive plan and contingencies until we hit the dive site.

If I'm in my sidemount gear doing recreational dives then I'll answer questions until I'm blue in the face.

Now CCR-on-CCR grief I've seen, but it is usually good-natured. :)

Just come across a bit of negativity towards tech divers and tech diving in general.
Anyone else catching a bit of this attitude out there?
I know not everyone will be your friend but because you dive a certain way?
The world is not as an accepting place as I once thought, :rofl3:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though I have noticed some vibe out there at local watering holes.
I have tried to not enter in to the beating of any level or agency of divers but yet get lumped into the group I look like!
So be it.
This is not a B&M thread just wondered it anyone else having this issue other areas?

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning.

What do they say that you feel is negative?

If I'm in my sidemount gear doing recreational dives then I'll answer questions until I'm blue in the face.

Same here. Even on this small area where all the divers pretty much know each other. The ones who have seen me around either stop and ask, or turn their noses at me. I guess they think that I believe I am better then them. Others will stare and point. The ones who do stop and ask, talk forever! LOL. It's cool though because I love to talk.

Well, I just finished a couple of recreational dives this morning over on Coz(I'd never been there before) and my insta-buddy remarked on how flat I was in the water during the dive, so I'd call that a positive encounter.

I've probably had a few negative encounters, but mostly I can't hear them over my awesomeness :wink:

In all seriousness, if the folks are negative before they even know you, then why bother wasting any time on them, as in thinking about or talking to? There are too many fun divers out there that have themselves squared away and still know how to smile and laugh to worry about turds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom