Closest Tulamben resorts to Liberty wreck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wwu123

Registered
Reaction score
Four of my last five annual dive vacations were to Indonesia, but we had to skip our trip last year due to a new baby. So it's been about 2.5 years since my last trip to Tulamben, staying at Scuba Seraya, and maybe five years since staying at the Mimpi in Tulamben proper.

Thinking about swinging by Bali as part of a two week business trip next month, but need some updates. I see a few more lodging places in Tulamben, such as Liberty Dive Resort and some specialty villas, but none are on the beach; however some claim to be 150m from the entry point. Are they closer to the wreck entry point than the resorts on the beach? I remember along the beach, Mimpi was the farthest over towards the fishing village, then Matahari, and finally Tauch Terminal was closest. But I can't remember how far Mimpi/Matahari were, just that it was a relatively far walk. I don't mind staying up the hill if the walk is not longer than from Mimpi.

I did love the Seraya resort, but there's no wi-fi there and I may need access between dives for doing some work. Therefore I'd prefer to stay at a place that has wi-fi like Matahari, or at least within walking distance of Internet access in town. Also since I'll only have three days to dive, so being able to have the freedom to walk to the wreck for a dive any time of day is appealing.

The closest is Puri Mada; budget resort but their bungalow is nice.
The second is the new Ocean View Tulamben, never been there but seem beautiful, big room with flat tv, huge garden, nice pool.
all less than 50m, check the map on the ocean view website, puri mada is on the righ side, exactly on the entry/exit points.

WWU--Liberty Dive added 10 or 12 bungalows to their operation last year. They are the ones 150m up from the beach. The road is a gentle slope down to where you enter the water and the wreck is a brief swim from there. Stayed at Liberty last April, had a great stay. They will make arrangements to drive you to Serya or Amed etc. if you want but they also will let you make the schedule of when and where. Nitrox is available.

When you walk down from Liberty towards the water, Ocean View is on the left, right on (wait for it...) the ocean. Ocean View is more upscale than Liberty, didn't stay there but checked out a room--very nice. Either place is more than conveniently located to dive the wreck. // ww

Puri Madha is the closest hotel to the Liberty. The hotel has a big patio in front of the restaurant that serves as kind of a launching area where all the divers gear up. From this patio to water's edge is perhaps 2-3 meters? I didn't measure it, but it's close. In fact, staying here felt more like a boat dive rather than a shore dive - it's that close. And the wreck is directly in front of the hotel. While it's not a luxury hotel, I wouldn't call it budget either. The pool and lounging areas are very nice and the rooms are fine (no bathtub tho). The convenience of being so close to the wreck means being able to do more dives while spending the SI in your bed or poolside. We could easily finish 3 dives before lunch and still feel relaxed. We usually stay at 4-5 star hotels, but Puri Madha would be fine for us for 3-4 days, IMO. Oh, we had wifi too.

Yup Puri Madha is right on top of the wreck. Hopefully the swimming pool is finished because construction noises were intrusive in October. As Wishnu said Bungalows are affordable and nice but the "resort" budget.

Liberty Dive Resort is a bit farther back, more expensive, but much nicer.

Hopefully the swimming pool is finished because construction noises were intrusive in October.
Hi Kathy, yes the pool at Puri Madha Beach Bungalows is now finished, they are just improving the parking area. The contact phone number for Puri Madha is 081 747 12161 Fax 0363 23346. They don't have a website.

hi Guys I have stayed with TWD in their budget accommodation and although that was fine (air cond, clean, limited wifi) wouldn't mind something better but not as far away from the wreck as TWD bungalows which are very nice.

What are the costs of these resorts particularly Pura Madha....

Chiming in... Can anyone suggest TWD v/s Liberty v/s Blue Hill - all seem to be ~same price overall for my 7d/6n stay when you consider loding/diving/nitrox/etc. Need Wifi. Dont need fancy. Good food is nice perk (Liberty says continental breakfast where TWD says fully cooked). Open to other suggestions but really dont need more choices :) Diving is most important so great guides is key. Since diving 3X+/day an extra ~$10USD per night for room isnt going to make a big difference. Plan to get around a bit to some of the other sites in the area too, so will be on some boat dives. Have camera - so far TWD and Liberty will give me 1:1 guide (Solo traveller). Thanx!

All I want to add to TWD is the dive guides and guide/diver ratio's are great. TWD's Kadek is excellent if you have been diving for a while, if you are a newby and want someone to hold your hand maybe not. He is great at finding what you want to see and ticks all my boxes. I will dive with him again regardless of where I stay..... is this OK in Tulamben, not sure if they expect you to dive where you stay?

Thanks for all the suggestions, the Ocean View Tulamben looks particularly. Some of the resorts seem pretty busy for the weekend two weeks from now, but I'll check a bunch of these out...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom