Best BCD for females?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealsix14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I've posted about bp/w's for myself before, but my GF has been trying to look for a BCD that she likes and I'm trying to help but there are many options and a lot of opinions.

This is what she said she wants: Integrated weights, lumbar support( or something to help her back from hurting because she is small and tanks are big), d-rings, and Integrated Octo airsource.

We have looked at the Scubapro Bella, Scubapro Ladyhawk, and the Aqualung brand but arn't sure. I've also looked at Mares, Cressi, and Tusa for her but I'm not sure if it's what she will want. So I'm really just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these, females obviously, and if not what they use and what they would recommend.

Thanks everyone!

DR Transpack or maybe a Transplate? Comes to mind because it is truly designed to be like a "backpack", distributing weight to the hips when upright. Can be rigged with weight pouches....

What does she think of your BP/W?

Our best seller for women is the Bella W/Air2. We have not had any complaints about it from many customers. The hips are cut just right were they sit just above the hips and the harness comes across great to minimize restrictions. It is weight integrated also with large pockets if she likes that. It is a standard floatation unlike the ladyhawk which is a back float. It also has the extra lumbar padding.

Zeagle Zena with an Atomic SS1. My fiancee is a big fan of the personal fit system and vest closure, and the SS1 screws on/off for storage with the regs. Only thing to note is that, like all Zeagles, it runs way big.

Zeagle also makes the LaZer which is a ladies cut version of the Stiletto. One advantage it has:
Sewn on Lumbar Pad

There's also the Ranger W(omens) if she wants something a little heavier duty. I'm pretty sure you can add the lumbar pad, my buddy did on his Ranger.

I used to dive an Oceanic Hera. A very good & comfy BC, However, it is a bit bulky (padding) & heavier than most other BC's so, doesn't pack for travel as well as others. I also dive an Aqualung Balance (Libra). It has all that you are looking for on your "wants" list. The Balance/ Libra is very a clean & streamlined back inflate BC.

Get her a Backplate/wing also. I took my G/F to about 5 differnt diveshops when we first began our course. She couldnt really find anything that fit her just right untill she asked one of the girls what she doveshe had told her she used to use a Jacket but finally had enough for the "Halcyon BPW" and loved it and that it was so much better etc.... So she tried it on and that was that. Just wished she would have tried it on at the 1st diveshop would have saved a lot of running around ha ha. I think these are even better for women than men because there figure's probably range more so than men so being able to custom fit it to her will make a lot of difference.

My personal opinon is that the BPW are better than traditional Bc's.

I'll second the suggestion to try the Zeagle Zena, Not only will she get a customized fit, but she can add a lumbar pad if need be.

Regardless, I strongly encourage her to try as many different types, brands, and styles as she can prior to purchase. Regardless of what anyone here recommends all that matters is what SHE wants and what fits HER best.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I told her what the suggestions were and she said she likes the zeagle Ranger..or zeagle in general because of the ability to go doubles in the future, I tried convince her to go straight bp/w with me but its what she wants and I mean I can always just get a harness and wing eventually for her if she wants. So thanks everyone! we'll be heading out in the next week to try some out and see how she likes the different bcd's.

Back
Top Bottom