PDA

View Full Version : How often do you talk about diving to non-divers? Forums excluded.

Shipwreckscanada
May 1st, 2012, 04:47 PM
My wife, not a diver, says I have a water logged scuba head because I talk about diving all the time. I have a scuba screensaver and wallpaper; I have scuba stickers all over the place, my car, computer cover, tool kit and much more. This leads to people asking questions and then I’m talking scuba again. So do I have a water logged scuba head?

To find out I posed this poll.

Qnape
May 1st, 2012, 05:06 PM
Too often, perhaps. My wife is a non-diver also, but has been considering trying. My daughter has been my dive buddy - but not for long as she is off to college in the fall. I've only been diving a short time but have been very active, and I read a LOT so i do wind up talking about it to (thus far, patient) friends and co-workers.

Scuba_Noob
May 1st, 2012, 05:08 PM
The answer for me is 'too many times'. When I first started, it would occur in numerous conversations with non-divers. I was just so excited, and people positively reinforced this behavior by expressing how cool/hardcore it must be to dive. Then I realized I may have been talking about diving too much that it might seem obsessive. Thus, I cut down on it significantly.

Now, I only discuss it with non-divers if they bring it up. I will probably not even mention that I do scuba dive. But still, people think it's extremely cool and bring it up a few times a week (1-5 times was my choice). I also post photos every so often, and people compliment them.

Most of my dive talk is done with divers now.

j yaeger
May 1st, 2012, 05:14 PM
i talk the talk all day long!
promote the sport by inspiring the adventurer in folks!!
when ever possible when traveling,i always wear something with a dive flag,or concerning diving
always get asked about it,how cool is it? or where to go?
just don't be a pest!!!!
lobstermen in mass. don't really care for divers!!!!!
have fun
yaeg

koozemani
May 1st, 2012, 05:21 PM
Whenever the subject comes up. Coworkers will see my flipping through a magazine or reading some book and ask about it. That's all the opening I need to start. I've also found several who are divers that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. My soon to be wife is a diver and she gets tired of me talking about it.

asha
May 1st, 2012, 05:35 PM
I don't talk to that many non-divers ;) But when it does come up, it's usually within contexts like "why didn't you come to pilates yesterday?"

Tigerman
May 1st, 2012, 05:38 PM
Whenever it comes up. If people ask me what Im gonna do with my vacation, they can blame themselves! :p

Captain12Pk
May 1st, 2012, 05:42 PM
Only when they ask. But that wasn't a poll choice.

TMHeimer
May 1st, 2012, 06:01 PM
I voted 1 to 5 times a week. Mostly to my wife, a non-diver. Being out in the stix I'm not usually around many people. Talk a lot at the dive shop in the city but those are divers/student divers. Quite a few people on the NS Eastern Shore are divers, some of them even certified! In the band I play in each summer in NY the guy next to me dives a bit in the tropics--the rest of those crazy musicians would have no interest....

Dr Dog
May 1st, 2012, 06:08 PM
I try to convert them to become divers

Splitlip
May 1st, 2012, 06:19 PM
Well let's see. My Department Director is my main dive buddy. One of the engineers I work closely with is a Cave diver turned wws (I like to think I convinced him pretty fishes ain't bad). One of the planners I work with is a free diver anxious to get certified. My brother is certified. My daughter is certified. My wife was from Key West. My neighbor's kid is a dive guide. I'd say 25% of my FB contacts are divers.

I don't need to talk to non divers. :)

drl
May 1st, 2012, 07:49 PM
As often as they'll let me! :D

j2s
May 1st, 2012, 07:53 PM
I don't talk to non-divers because they're aliens from another planet...This is my BLUE PLANET and they don't belong ;P !!!!!....And they're beneath me, but I think that has to do w/me being 6' 4" !!!!!.......

Bratface
May 1st, 2012, 08:25 PM
My colleagues are always eager to hear what I saw on my weekend dives. I have others from work that I don't even know approach me about learning how to dive. I love diving and it shows.

PansSiren
May 1st, 2012, 08:39 PM
I manage to even find ways to bring diving into the conversation. Someone mentions food, I tell how I want to bring a marinated steak underwater to let the pressure tenderize it, lol. I'm trying to get better with not starting the conversation, but if a question comes up, I do no blame myself! They brought that mess onto themselves!!

BrotherBear
May 1st, 2012, 09:19 PM
I get to talk diving to most of the non-divers I know. All I need to do is mention that I dived this weekend and they look at me like I'm crazy and the questions start, the most common one is "what is there to see down there". Where I live if the water hits 70 degrees there's something wrong, most of the year it barely gets out of the 40s and no one believes there's anything more than rocks and sea weed around here.

TSandM
May 2nd, 2012, 12:29 AM
Well, my first reaction was, "Other people still have non-diving friends?"

But actually, a lot of my non-diving friends are my Facebook friends, and they see the pictures that I put up, and read the posts I write about having gone diving. So they ask. A lot of people are really curious about diving, even if they don't think they would ever want to do it.

turnerjd
May 2nd, 2012, 05:06 AM
My only non diving friends are those I met through work.

Other than that diving is a key topic of conversation in our house. Daughter is as keen as mustard to learn to dive, and needs no encouragement to ask questions..... and off we go for another couple of hours father / daughter diving discussion. The non diving wife feels a bit left out, but accept that this is the way thing are.

Jon

Hickdive
May 2nd, 2012, 07:02 AM
I talk to non-divers about diving until they are out of earshot. Then I pull out my bullhorn and talk to them about it a bit more. If they get in their cars and drive off and I have their phone number then I'll text them.

I don't have many (any?) non-diving friends.

Guba
May 2nd, 2012, 11:09 AM
I'm a professional educator and I use diving CONSTANTLY to explain concepts (I teach physics, chemistry, environmental systems, etc...). Once in a while (but not too often) I worry about talking about diving too much and risk boring my students with it. Then it passes and I keep talking.

I love being about to apply what diving teaches and relating it to my non-diving students. They seem to enjoy it, and I've found it extremely effective. I've even presented workshops to other teacher groups in how to use diving to illustrate science concepts.

DennisS
May 2nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Most non divers I talk to, aren't that interested in diving, otherwise they would be divers. I get replies like, my brother used to dive, I have a friend that dives etc.

The only time I see interest is coming out of the water on a beach dive, then I get a lot of, what did you see, are there sharks out there, how deep did you go?

The real interest is when I come out with lobsters in the goodie bag, how much does it cost to learn to dive, do you have to be a good swimmer, how long does it take to learn?

NWGratefulDiver
May 2nd, 2012, 11:29 AM
I used to have non-diving friends ... but that was years ago. Nowadays, I have non-diving co-workers. They always ask me about my latest dive trip, or come into the office to see what pictures I've taken recently ... I keep a rolling desktop on my work computer of my underwater pictures. If I miss a day of work, they automatically assume I was out diving somewhere and ask me where I went. What's funny is that I work in a wastewater treatment plant ... and whenever there's a problem with a digester or clarifier, someone will always walk into my office and ask if I have my drysuit in the car ... :shocked:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Shipwreckscanada
May 3rd, 2012, 09:55 PM
First of all, thank you all for your participation.
Second, if I am a water logged scuba head, then I’m in some pretty good company. : - )

Tigerman
May 4th, 2012, 02:17 PM
The real interest is when I come out with lobsters in the goodie bag, how much does it cost to learn to dive, do you have to be a good swimmer, how long does it take to learn?
When I come from semi-local ocean dives I tend to get questions about finding lobsters.
What people who dont dive around here is not aware of is that taking lobster while on scuba is ILLEGAL even in the lobster season and even in the season theres strict rules with regards to both depth and construction of the pots. Lobsters can not be sutainably "free-for-all hunted" here unfortunately :(

TMHeimer
May 4th, 2012, 03:31 PM
When I come from semi-local ocean dives I tend to get questions about finding lobsters.
What people who dont dive around here is not aware of is that taking lobster while on scuba is ILLEGAL even in the lobster season and even in the season theres strict rules with regards to both depth and construction of the pots. Lobsters can not be sutainably "free-for-all hunted" here unfortunately :(

At least you can have pots (or even A pot). Taking lobsters in Maritime Canada with any method any time is illegal unless you are a licensed commercial lobster fisherman. They have had a sweet deal with the govt. for decades, make upwards to $100K for 2 months' work then collecting unemployment (as do their wives) for the other 10. A touchy topic here to say the least. Sorry to digress.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1