Need help with BCD selection (back inflate)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spector39

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to purchase my first back-inflate BC and have a budget of around $300. I'd like one with trim pockets, and integrated weights, but other than that, I just want one that's comfortable and reliable. I'll be using it exclusively for warm water diving. Looking at Leisure Pro's site, I've narrowed it down to the ones below. I am wondering if anyone has experience with these and can help with my decision or provide other options. Thanks!

Aeris EX 200 Back Inflation BCD with QLR Weight Pockets, Black

Genesis Omni BCD Black

Oceanic Islander BC, Black/Blue

Mares Pegasus BCD with MRS Plus Weight Pockets, Black

I use the Oceanic Islander 2.

You may be referring to the "non 2" version which is around $300. If the one you're are looking at is the older and possibly closing out model, then there should be no d-rings just loops so you'll need a few connectors (which it should come with a few) and the weight pockets might be velcro not quick fasteners. Other than that I see only subtle differences. It looks very similar to the Islander 2.

I like pockets, it's fairly light and since I am 6'7", I chose this one since it fits well. I had some of the plastic drings replaced with metal ones (I just like metal ones better). There are quite a few d-rings in total which I use for SMBs, camera, octopus connection.
I don't use the intergrated weight pockets but if I did I like that it does not have velcro fasteners. If necessary I can use them as pockets. I find it to be comfortable. Everything is easy to get to. The pockets have zippers on them instead of velcro so it takes bit of practice to manipulate them with one hand but it's easy to do with practice.

I like the padding around the neck and straps - better than many I looked at when purchasing.

The back inflate does push me a bit forward on the surface at the end of a dive so I use the tank bank pouches for two pounds each and seems to work very well for me - YMMV.

The diving I do is warm water and I take all my gear on trips. Since I have a larger size Islander it's not small but does pack fairly small.

I have had it for several years and have had no repair or maintenance issues with it.

The Gemini is the same as the Sherwood Axis which was my first BC. I would avoid it unless you have a hug pot belly.
Since it has no cumber bun, it's usually impossible for you to cinch down tight enough around your waist. So through out your entire dive, the BC will be riding up on you. On the surface, the BC will tilt on you as well. Unless you're leaning back on it, the first stage will be tilted into you head.

I ended up gluing a crotch strap to it and voiding my warranty.

The Mares looks like it may have the same problem. Long weight pockets and no cumber bun, so depending on your belly, you may not be able to cinch it tight enough, which makes the BC easier to ride up on you.
The pockets seem to have a bit more flex so if you have a wide waist then it may work better.

All my friends who have used Mares BC's though have had problems with the weight pockets falling out. I'm not a fan of their clip mechanism, it's tiny, can easily break, and isn't secure enough compared to other brands on the market.
(4 instances, 3 different BC's models)

Scuba.com was selling the new Sherwood Tortuga hybrid back inflate for the closeout price of the old model at 300 dollars. (The listing for the older model was kind of ambiguous and sure enough when I ordered it, they sent me the new black and orange model for the old price.) I picked up 2 last year, one for me and one for my son. It has the adjustable cumber bun and stainless D rings everywhere. Really a nice BC.

Even if you had to get the older model, I think it is still a really good one for 300 bucks. Not sure the difference in the weight pockets between the 2 are though. Mine has a clip that secures the weight pocket to the BC which makes it really secure. Like I said, not sure if the older model has those or not.

I had a the Mares Icon that was essentially an upgraded Pegasus. The Mares weight pockets do have serious issues and I ended up just using a weight belt and shoving my SMB and a flashlight in each empty integrated pocket. I have never had a real issue with no cumberbund/riding up and I'm a twig. I actually enjoy not having one as they still give me that squeezing feeling I got from jacket style BC's. If your trim is on you shouldn't notice it too much but then again maybe it's just me. I believe the Pegasus comes with a crotch strap but I'm not positive. I am positive it comes with little plastic D-rings though and that blows. I also had a bladder leak that ended up in the demise of my BCD altogether and I've read of a couple similar incidents. It's your call but in my opinion the Mares would be out.

If you think you are going to upgrade and get something better later, than it's best just to save your money and get the good stuff first. In the end you will save money, and be glad you did.

Thanks for the replies. I am leaning towards the Islander at this point. ColeDale, do you have issues with your Islander pushing you forward on the surface?

I did have some issues with it pushing me forward on the surface a little bit when I was vertical and I had a 100 cu AL tank with around 500psi left. I found that putting 4 pounds of lead (2 lbs in each tank band pouch) and briging my camera up closer to my shoulders as opposed to leaving it low solved the issue. I also found I was overinflating the bladder on the surface so I only did the minimum.

I use a weight belt (no integrated weights other than tank band) and made sure that none of the weight was forward of my hips.

I have also been known to lie on my back on the surface and float. However my ears can be under water sometimes so hearing is an issue i.e boat traffic, people wanting to talk to me.

I generally understand that most back inflate setups can have the problem of pushing you forward at the surface but it depends on your setup e.g. type and size of tank - AL, steel; integrated vs weight belt, tank band pouch use, negative bouancy camera or other gear.

I like the back inflate system and specifically the Islander 2 since it is not restrictive. It's wide open in the front. It's different than a jacket style BCD but not hard to adjust to.

As near as I can tell the Islander has fabric loops not d-rings. It also appears to have velcro for the intergrated weight pockets. The Islander 2 has d-rings and quick release connectors for integrated weight pockets. There seems to be about a $150-$200 difference. Seems like alot for plastic d-rings and plastic quick connectors. Maybe I am missing a difference.

For your budget the best back inflate BC IMO is without a doubt the Zeagle Express Tech. You can find them for around 250 new and by adding a crotch strap (I make my own for about $7) 4 d rings and sliders and a metal buckle from Piranha Dive Gear, you come in under 300 for a BC that is infinitely adjustable, rugged, has no inherent buoyancy, and can actually be modified easily for side mount or small doubles. Wings are interchangeable and range from 23 to 35 lbs of lift. Integrated weight systems are available for it but IMO not necessary. I use a belt with mine in addition to an XS scuba weight pouch on each cam band. Using these trims it out just like my plate and wing. I did a review of it a while back with pics of my set up. I have gone to the 35lb wing on mine since I dive steel tanks.

Just an FYI - back inflates do not push you forward on the surface. What pushes divers forward is improper weighting coupled with over inflation of the BC. All that needs to be out of the water is your chin. Some people seem to like floating chest high. If you need to have more out of the water with a back inflate you just lean back and relax. Just like being on a pool raft.

The review is here: Zeagle Express Tech Buoyancy Compensator Review

Before you buy, take a look at the Aqualung Balance and if you want to go big ($) the Black Diamond. Aqualung has best service deal (all AL dealers will register your BC for free parts service, yes even on their BCs), and there are dealers world wide if you plan to travel and dive.

Back
Top Bottom